Referees

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

We as fans are upset about the officiating every season, but I'm noticing something this season. I always assumed the players were just as enraged as we are with blown calls and such, but the players are being much more vocal this season (I'm not talking about the Titans).

What is the NFL going to do about it??? They usually like to take a silence the voice approach, but correct me if I am wrong, the NFL can't fine players for voicing their distaste for the officiating because of the NFLPA. Will the NFL finally fine referees for bad calls??? The NCAA has in the past. Maybe have stricter physical standards for referees. Every time I see a side judge looking through coke bottle glasses, I know we're in for a long day. Gerald Austin's crew in particular should never officiate any game.

I know one thing, the NFL needs to put an end to it, because the more people question the legitimacy of a sport, the more people lose interest in that sport.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

They need to make officiating a full time job and profession.

It is a hard job, they have to know a lot of rules, but that doesn't excuse some of the bonehead calls they make.
    Still, with all the NFL's money, they need to pay the ref's very well so they don't have to have other jobs, while expecting more from them.

I can also understand the Ref's not wanting to take lip from the players on the field. That's the coach's job. I can understand the ref, who was older than Samari, after listening to his crap, telling him "boy, just play" although that's not exactly how he worded it.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

try doing it for one game and your opinion will change. Normally you have less than a second or two to make a call. You think football fans are bad try being an umpire at a kids Little League game :scared:

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I know what you're saying, but it could still be better than it is. Mike Carey and Ed Hochuli both run good crews. Why should Hochuli and Carey be the exception with the money the NFL has???

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I completely agree. I don't understand how the NFL can't pay for full-time refs to give them every chance to make the games as legit as possible.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

It's Rolle (which I think has more to do with what happened on the field, and not so much to do with the lip service after), Suggs, and Spicer this week, unless I'm missing some. That said, I totally agree.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

With the millions of dollars tied to the outcome of games, I don't understand why the NFL would not make refs a full time position.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you have a good point, but the thing that bothers me the most is when replay shows something that should overturn a call, and the ref doesn't overturn it. look at the braylon edwards long td this past week against the cards. the safety obviously hits edwards' leg, making him go down, but somehow it was upheld...

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

You know what bothers me even more, is that a judgement call is not reviewable. Why? Because it might embarass a referee even more. Why can it not be judged by another referee. The rule is that it has to be conclusive to overturn. Well, given that, a judgement call could easily be overturn in the face of overwhelming evidence. I never got that. I never will. Penalties and push outs and all that should be reviewable. Why the hell not. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar