Reese Optimistic About Titans Future

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans General Manager Floyd Reese was interviewed this afternoon on a number of issues facing his team this offseason. Among them is the contract for QB Steve McNair. Reese is confident that a deal for two or three seasons can be worked out. "From our standpoint and from a cap standpoint, it’s always better to do something like that" said Reese. "And then at the end of that if he thinks he can play another year, fine, we can go another year." Reese also said he'd prefer to keep backup QB Billy Volek, that the organization might consider drafting a running back and that a wide receiver who fits the Titans system may be brought in for next season through free agency. Other comments include possible changes on the offensive line, linebacker and getting more production from the safety position.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, at least Reese is aware of the areas of concern.

"...might consider drafting a running back..."? Could that mean forego drafting a QB with our first pick?

3. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Methinks there's some smoke towards Reggie Bush there...other than that, he's definitely got his eyes on some of the issues. I wonder what a "WR that fits the Titans' system" looks like...?

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I wouldn't take anything he says as 'writen in stone'. He is just setting up the yearly pre-draft smoke screen. I don't like the way he mentions Volek as being a Titan in 2006, but he could be blowing smoke up our butts again.
    ________
    Ford motor company of australia picture

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Keyshawn ? no thanks

btw ..... WHY ?

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

he is OLD and SLOW, put him at LB

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

In the article, Reese says he's happy to keep McNair for 2-3 more years and that we have the cap to keep Volek as his backup if necessary, and the purpose of Gesser/Mauck has been to find someone to groom behind McNair, but that hasn't quite worked out yet, that through the draft someone to groom behind McNair will be considered and that Volek could be traded if the right deal came along.

Doesn't sound like a smokescreen to me. Seems pretty straightforward.

10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Why Keyshawn

Granted Keyshawn isn't going to win any fastest man in the NFL competitions, but we just drafted a bunch of young speedy guys didn't we? Keyshawn has plenty to offer the Titans; He's a big, physical guy who runs precise routes and has great hands. I just think he'd make an excellent safety valve target for McNair. He would also provide a veteran leader for our young wideouts (something I don’t think Drew Bennett can really be expected to do). And his fierce competitiveness and passion would really be a welcome addition to the Titans offence which can at times seem pretty lifeless. At this point in his career I don't think Johnson would command top dollar so he'd be relatively cap friendly. This is all contingent on Johnson becoming available, if the Cowboys sign Owens I think that'd be the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar