Reese Foresaking BPA?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GoTitans3801, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Third round picks are almost all shaky. Second round almost as bad.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

granted its a little early to be questioning our 2004 draft, but we should be seeing something from our 2003 draft by now

meaning Andre and Ty - and we're not
    this year would be a PERFECT year for Andre to step it up

if Andre and Ty don't make some form of elevated impact THIS year then it's time to let them go

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

All GMs have their list of crappy picks. It happens. I agree that Reese has had his share. What we don't know is if Reese really was taking BPA based on his grade or not because we are not privy to his list. What we do know for sure however is that almost everyone on this board thought Ko Simpson or Bing would have been a decent "BPA" pick in the second round and NO team of the 32 NFL teams thought they were worth even taking them in the 3rd round.

Then to say a guy like Lowry is not good just because nobody really heard much about him is ridiculous. We will have to wait to see.

4. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

BPA is a bunch of crap! If a QB was the BPA every year in the first round at our pic and we had no offers to trade down are we gonna pic a QB lets say 3 years in a row? Or you are loaded up at a certain positon and the BPA plays that positon are you still gonna take him?

5. First of all, no one said anything about using BPA on every pick...

Secondly, I think it's funny that any average football fans like us thinks that they know more about who the best players are than the guys running an NFL team who do it as a full time job.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

sometimes the fans have more instinctive perspective

for instance, I coulda told you all day that Moss was going to be better than Dyson

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

think of it like this (hypothetically)

say you need a LB , a Safety, and a OG
    you wanna take the BPA of one of those positions, right ?

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

who couldn't. He was another character issue wasnt he?

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all we need to define what BPA actually means. I've argued before on this board that it is almost impossible to differentiate BPA of player at different postions. The BPA's of this draft may have been Vernon Davis, Brick or AJ Hawk for all we know. Thats why when picking #3 or #6 in the draft you are selecting as much on need as you are on BPA. Thats what the Texans ended up doing. They needed a dominating DE much more than another RB. Hard to argue their logic. Even if VY was by far the BPA when we picked if McNair was only in his 5th year no way we take VY with that pick.

However, later in the draft you have to be carefull to not go too hard after need because you will end up with a bunch of duds while passing on guys who could be solid players. Going back and reviewing the players available for each 2nd day pick, considering we didn't have a 3rd rounder, I think Reese did about as well on paper as we could expect.

Remember when Reese took Bell in the 5th round a couple of years ago. Many of us were thinking, who is this guy? Bell ended up starting at LG the whole year and played well. Let's hope we can hit like that again on just a few of these new guys.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm hoping one day that Reese tells the world how he grades players. I bet we would be underwhelmed.

I'm guessing he gives a number to a position first. Let's assume he feels QB is a harder position to play than G. That automatically makes the QB ranked higher because of the skill involved to play the position.

Then you look at the player himself against every other player in that position not only that year but throughout history. Size, weight, speed, film, character, etc. I think that is where it gets muddy because much of it is just based on judgement.

Mix it all together, you get a draft grade.

No doubt need plays into the mix. Not so much for this year but beyond based on who Reese feels the Titans might resign. This year, let's assume that natually elevated players at QB and LB. Last year, it was CB and WR.

It depends on where you rank Bush against those who came out before him at the position. Some believed he was the best RB to enter the draft in a decade. If that is the case, then you must throw need out the window because you have a difference-maker on your team and his skills far overshadow any need you may have.

But they apparently felt Mario had those same qualities in a need position. Time will tell.

Need plays more a role, IMO, in those later rounds. But most teams have many needs so there are usually options. Especially for a team lacking the depth the Titans appear to be.

The thing is, we all assume there is some kind of amazing formula the Titans have which somehow grades one player over another when I bet there is a lot of plain ol' gut instinct at work here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar