Redskin Wrs....picking the bones..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Redskins are -20M in cap room and have 2 Wrs they basically can't afford.

Randel el is entering year 3 of a 7 year $31M deal while santana moss is in year 4 of a 6 year $31M deal. Combined they will cost the team $12M against the cap and either of them have had monster years since signing those deals. The skins will certainly have to release one of them if they can't reneg a new deal and why would they want to?

We could get moss for as little as a 4th rounder and and while his $7M a year cap hit for 08 and 09 seems too much getting him would mean not having to resign gage for maybe $4M. Moss has to be considered at least on a par with the best FA Wr's available and the risk is low.

In the past we have seen other teams cart off our better players now it's time for us to get some good players on the cheap. Ravens are hurting for cap room, derrick mason would look good back in titan blue instead of that bird poop color. Mason is still one of the most relable 3rd down Wrs and at 33 he could be had for just a 5th rounder.

I'm warming up more and more to the idea of improving the WR spot by trading our picks for proven productive players. Get guys who can help us now!

2. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I wouldn't mind either one from the skins, but I'd rather have Santana Moss...As far as Mason goes, I think he still has plenty left in the tank.
    I agree with you as far as trading some of our middle round picks for players that can contribute right away rather than paying a boatload for a free agent mediocre player.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If you look at MR's past in Seattle and so far in Tennessee he is much more inclined to sign cheap vets in FA or trade for proven vets than he is to rely on the draft or pay mega bucks.

I'd go for re-signing Gage and trading for Moss. Gives us two solid WRs with complimentary skills and doesn't break the bank too bad.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Moss has been pretty average since '05. But he seems to be the kind of WR that can stretch the field and add a dimension to the Titans they haven't had for some time.

I'm thinking Chris Davis was drafted to be this kind of player but I don't think he has Moss' speed.

I also don't see the Skins getting rid of him.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

If we grabbed Santana Moss I would go nuts, the guy is a stud but has struggled because he is not in the right kind of offense in Washington, if the Titans were willing to open up down feild he would be great, the guy has soft hands, burning speed, great shift, nice moves off the line, hes a pro bowl wr.
    I dont see the Skins letting him go because of the ability he has, remember the Skins Dallas game he singlehandedly won?, yea he can do that week to week when healthy and inserted in the right offense, hes also great on screens and short curls and slants imo

6. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

If anything i say go for Mason. I think he will get cut by the Ravens anyway do to the cap. I think Mason proved last year that he can still play, even when they were doing QB switches in Baltimore he still caught what 90 balls? He is the veteran that we need, that Moulds should of been this year.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff, what choice do they have they have no money?

Brandon lloyd got a $27M contract 2 years ago and he is going to have to fill the void. The redskins have proven that going the FA agent route for Wrs means to over pay for average players. They will have to do something with one of those highly paid Wrs and it is moss who counts the most against the cap.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For starters, make cuts in other areas.

I'm not current on the Redskins cap situation but with a new coach and coordinators, they may feel Moss is more important to their offense and would rather find cap room in other places.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

This couldnt be any further from the truth. Moss is not a stud, doesnt have great hands, and doesnt run the best routes. NFL fans all over the internet were calling him out on his crappiness this year.

10. The Redskins can get out of cap trouble without a lot of work. They have a few guys they can cut or restructure to get under the cap. They won't be forced to trade anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar