Red Hot Chili Peppers vs Rush CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 20, 2016.

?
  1. RHCP

46.2%
  2. Rush

53.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I had a major mullet when I was 13

We used to call it "Hockey hair"

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Pretty sure he is an Expos transplant.
    They all used to spend their spring in WPB when I lived there and Montreal was the spring training team there..

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Maybe.. but that Gandolf face makes it look like hoser hair every time..

4. The Hammer

He is, just like me. Now they go to Blue Jays spring training.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I'd say the only instrument where it's a legit competition is bass. Flea is one of the greats. That's the only place that RHCP has definite edge on them, IMO.
    Peart beats Smith by a mile.
    Lifeson is a much more impressive technical guitarist... But Frusciante brought the cool vibes. The new guy, and the old dead guy aren't much to write home about.

On vocals: Geddy lees voice aged badly. Kiedis sounds the same.

6. The Hammer

RHCP did probably the worst super bowl halftime performance.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

WPB Spring Training used to be a blast..
    Expos split the local field with The Braves and all the good teams were coming in there to play.. The Big Red Machine, Luzinski/Schmidt Phillies, Reggie's Yanks etc.
    It was pretty epic for a smaller town in Fla..
    The photo shows the old "Leaky Teepee" aka The West Palm Beach Auditorium.
    So many great concerts there.. Saw Van Halen open for Sabbath here.
    Kiss w Plasmatics..
    AC/DC Back in Black etc..

[​IMG]

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yeah, Peart is more apt to overplay or put a drum solo in the middle of a song but take that wank out and you're kinda left with less song drum juice than the Bonhams and Chad Smiths of rock..
    I have seen Rush 6 or 7 times and I've never seen Lifeson show me anything that proves he's any greater than Frucsiante.
    Old Rush memes die hard..

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

don't get me wrong. I would prefer to listen to Frusciante over Lifeson any day. But I can't deny his proficiency at the instrument. There's a big difference between being the most proficient guitarist, and being the most pleasing to the ear. That's why RHCP got my vote. Technical skill means less than portraying an emotion or vibe in music.

Rush music is rarely angry, happy, or sad.. they're just kinda there.. being virtuosos.. it's their thing. Not a lot of emotional range in the music. which is why mostly male musicians like their music. Because it's more about the practice of being complicated for complication's sake. It has its place.

Smith and Frus would be extremely bad in rush, and likewise with Lifeson and Peart in RHCP.

A lot of the greatest guitarists don't really do a ton for me. Simplicity is ok, and Frusciante did the simplicity thing pretty well. Not like Rush, who always lays it on thick.

By more proficient guitarist, I mean faster, and probably knows the theory of the music better. Not that he necessarily sounds much better. Academically, I think Lifeson is the far superior guitarist. Not that I would pay to see Rush again. Been there and seen the act. I'm good.

Plus, RHCP brings back good childhood memories, Rush has no such benefit to me. Rush was just about done being a relevant rock band by the time I was in Kindergarten.

#39 nickmsmith, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar