Rebuilding the Titans Also Means Rebuilding Its Character

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. -- Helen Keller

For the Titans fan, there is little to be optimistic about entering this off-season. For that matter, things haven't gone very well since Drew Bennett dropped a fourth down pass in the 17-14 loss to the Patriots in the 2003 AFC Divisional Playoffs. On the most part, times have been tough all around.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001279.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Attitude and character?

Sign RUDY via free agency!! we need his character in the team

3. FLTitansfan

FLTitansfan Guest

What if the titans hired on one or two of the old leaders like eddie or frank to be quote unquote motivators/strong personalities in the locker room and on the sidelines those two are some of the most professional guys on any team in any year never show offs always nose to the grind get the job done kinda guys something the titans lack minus a few vets...just a crazy thought

4. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I would vote to bring back big Bruce#74.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

A FOURTH AND 23 PASS, I might add. :sad2:

6. dennykidd

dennykidd Guest

the problem

I am a long time oilers/titans fan.One of the things I have always loved about this organization was the character of our teams.It starts up top with the draft and free agent signings.We have become just like everyone else and "sold our souls" over the last few years.5-10-15-20 years ago would we have drafted a guy like pacman?no way!,yeah,fast,great....this guy does not get it.have you seen the miss tackles,stupid pennelties not to mention the wonderful person he is off the field huh.the titans knew what they were drafting,and if we can just draft a few more like him we could be just like the vikings,raiders...and all the other selfish,undisaplined,none carring teams with 20% of the roster with criminal records.sorry for venting but the Josh Evans of the world don't belong in tennessee. dk

7. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Maybe thats why the Oilers never made it to a SB?

8. dennykidd

dennykidd Guest

I am a little confused about that statement,are you saying.....they should draft/sign more selfish thugs with no charactor then they will win. also don't forget the 79-80 afc championship game,we were an instant replay away from a superbowl.The 93 team should have gone (damn bills)and the 99 team went(bills payback).dont get hung up on a name change either, 98% of that superbowl roster were oilers the year before....in other words same team. i assume you've only been a fan 5 or 6 years and maybe even despised this team before the move? Hey if you don't agree with the charactor staements earlier thats cool,we all have opinions,but it seems odd for me to have to defend this organization on THIS site. dk

9. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I agree with you Denny. This Titans team has no identity and that's the problem. Reese put it best in a current Tennessean article:

Thing is, we lost our identity with these players: Matthews, Kearse, George, Mason, Rolle, Smith, Wycheck and we could possibly loose McNair. You could probably say Godfrey, Bishop and Mitchell belong to that group too. Bulluck, Kinney and McNair are the only guys left from the old identity. We have guys now who don't know what it takes at their certain position, because there's no one to tell them how it is or should be. From all the quotes from Bulluck in the Tennessean you would have to think that the current influx of talent is just plain dumb, immature or don't give a damn. That's scary, because Bullucks on the inside and saying how it is. I think Pacman could turn out to be a good player and do some good things for this organization, but he's not an character that would have been associated with the old identity. Infact he and others like Brown, Bennett, Calico, Tank, Odom, Starks, Thompson embody the new one we've inhabited: Inconsistent, Immature, Lack, Weak, Selfish....take your pick. However, Pac has shown hope with his heart and charisma, but the other things overshadow that way too much. Everytime he does something wrong, he appologizes for it, but you can't say sorry forever and keep doing what was wrong to begin with. It'll only mean something after so long. It's time to stop saying sorry or "we're going to right this ship" and do it. Go back to what made us who we were. It's time somebody respected us and flinched when we were coming after them. I don't want anymore "Weak" players who get injured constantly or can't produce or can't this or that. I'm tired of the word "can't" being associated with this organization.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

cut the next guy that uses bad form and MISSES a tackle, then cut the next one to get the point across

One thing I noticed watching the defending champions dismantle Ironleg "What you talkin'bout' Patriots" Wrongwich. Everytime they laid a hand on a Jag they went down, not many ESPN highlites, just good technique. Vrabel? make a los openfield shoestring tackle on Taylor - all he got was part of a leg and a little foot, but it was enough. Just made me sick to compare how prepared they were and the pathetic excuse for a defense the Titans have been throwing up the last 2-5 seasons. At least we know Williams and Thompson can backpedal cause they sure won't hit anybody or anything.

Oh and the Reese quote is exactly what me and a bunch of other posters have been saying for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar