Reading the coverage: Young talked about giving up football

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Did I miss something good? Is there something AFC-South related that you want to read about? Meet the mailbag. And check out a chat tomorrow at 3:00 p.m.

Houston Texans
    John McClain says Sunday's game against Baltimore ranks as the biggest of Gary Kubiak's career and maybe in Texans history.

The Ravens defense will cause a whole new set of problems for the Texans, says Megan Manfull.

David Anderson ranks ahead of Andre' Davis as the No. 3 receiver, Manfull reports.

In his chat transcript, McClain says one more bad game for Matt Schaub and he'd turn to Sage Rosenfels.

Indianapolis Colts
    Phillip B. Wilson's blog includes detailed observations from a second watching of the loss to the Bears.

Colts.com's weekly chat with Tony Dungy includes thoughts on former Indy assistant Leslie Frazier, who's now Minnesota's defensive coordinator.

Jacksonville Jaguars
    The Jaguars added some veteran offensive linemen in order to have healthy backups, Vito Stellino writes.

John Henderson ponders Marcus Stroud's return with Buffalo in a Q&A with Michael C. Wright.

Stellino looks at the state of the AFC's favorites.

Police say Richard Collier was targeted when he was shot.

Cole Pepper expects guard Maurice Williams to join Vince Manuwai on IR.

Tennessee Titans
    On Monday, Vince Young told those close to him he didn't want to play football anymore and his mom says he's "hurting inside and out," reports Jim Wyatt. Young's crazy day included a talk with a psychologist.

David Climer says "we have a real problem in the works here - something that might be fixable or something that might not." He's on target.

"Vince Young is either a spoiled brat, a troubled young man or some combination of the two," writes Richard Justice. Wow, you know things are bad when you find something critical of Young from Texas.

Wyatt blogs that Young could be out longer than the knee injury takes to heal.

More...

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Wyatt makes a good point. If the Titans thought Young would be out 2-4 weeks, then they would have put Martin on the 53-man roster. By bringing in Simms, they're sending the message this thing could go much longer and Young may not win back his job when he returns.

They're covering their butt either way.

And I wonder how much Bud's hands are on this. He saw everything Sunday. If he went down into the locker room after the game and got the cold shoulder by Young, he may be pulling the strings here which results in Young being the #2 on his return until he proves he's straightened himself out.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Young definitely needs 4 weeks at least to get things back together, this looks like it goes beyond football and it is in his best interest to sort himself out before thinking of football.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I don't see it that way. They had to have three qb's. And you sign whoever you consider to be the best qb available. That was Simms. And Simms is better than Martin right now. 4 games is a lot of games to go with Ingle Martin as a backup in my opinion. You need to 2 reliable qb's, and I don't think anyone has ever been serious about Ingle Martin as an NFL qb, not even the Titans. So I see the Simms signing as realistic. Not as a statement.

I think VY has his job.

Collins doesn't really want it. And probably doesn't deserve it either. He's no better than VY statistically. Simms has almost zero potential left on his resume'. He's a threat, but it's minimal at best. I think if they brought in a bigger name like Culpepper, then it would be more of a statement.

I think VY has this locked up.

5. ruby10football

ruby10football Camp Fodder

Of course it goes beyond football.....if everyone's hatin on ya then it's gonna get to you. You can only block it for so long, HE NEEDS SOME SUPPORT!! If we would back him up like we should instead of cling to the media rumor mill and blow everything outta hand like everyone is, maybe the situation would be a bit different.

6. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

VY's mamma needs some PR lessons. I understand she is trying to help her son, but when her son is venting to her it should stay in house. She's a mother and wants to protect and help her son and have people see him in the same light as she does. It just doesn't work that way. Who should he vent and complain to? His support group is his family and when his family gets caught up in the media frenzy they will more often unknowingly hurt more than help. That is the way I see it. Yes, he needs to mature but he should be able to ***** and moan all he wants at home without it becoming fodder for the masses.

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

There was a time when McNair would go out onto that field with pieces and parts hanging off and fight to win a game...only coming out when they took his helmet away.

VY hesitated to play on his own due to some tightness in his hamstring.

I think the hammy was a crutch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar