Re-sign Haynesworth NOW

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Vince10, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and when he holds out all of camp and gets hurt in week two, what good will it have done?

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Agreed.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The franchise possibility adds weight to signing him..

We stick a 5 year $30M contract with a $7M bonus in front of him he will likely balk thinking he is worth $35-40M. However if we don't sign him this season and then franchise him next year he won't get a fat chunk of bonus money until march 2009 when he can market himself to the league. A lot can happen between now and then. Injuries, a poor 2008 that drives down his value. So from his perspective he might want to take that $7M now.

It's that big pay off that motivates these guys not a high salary. A signing bonus of $7M with an annual roster bonus of $1M pro rated to include this year puts $8M in his pocket now! Not sometime off in the future. And his salary for the rest of this year would also be about double what it currently is.

There is a big advantage to taking less now than to wait for a bigger pay off later..

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Big DT contracts..

2005.. marcus stroud signed a deal worth 31.5M for 5 seasons....$6.3M annualized.

2006.. john henderson signed a deal for 6 seasons at $34M...$5.6M annualized..

2007..Pat williams...3 year $22M deal...$7.33M annualized..

2007..Cory redding signed a 7 year deal for $49M..$7.1M annualized..

Redding a 290 lb converted end has never made a pro bowl! He is the highest paid DT in the league..

My guess is that haynesworth's agent will be asking for the deal much like the one redding got. Redding got $16M in guaranteed money..

5. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

I'm just happy he is finally dominating. Its well over due. I will worry about his contract after the Pro Bowl game. Until then I wanna continue to see him plow through the line.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

AH might take the 6 mil per year but I bet he is looking for more than about 1 years pay in upfront bonus money. Figure about double that amount if not more. Wouldn't surprise me if he wants around 18 mil or half up front.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat, my hope is that we could do a deal for more than 5 years but using my numbers as a guide and the guaranteed money from those other contracts the norm in guaranteed money is 30-33% of the total. A $7M SB with a million a year a year in roster bonuses actually surpasses that percentage. That would mean $12M guaranteed out of $30M or 40% .

Stretch that out over 7 years and we would get maybe an $8M SB or $15M guaranteed out of $42M. He can't expect more than that. Redding got $16M guaranteed out of $49M.

At least 33% of any contract should be incentives like workout bonuses and bonuses for starting 14 or more games.

So my break down would be this..

7 years

$42-49M

$8M SB

$1M annual RB

500,000 workout bonus.

$1M bonus per year for starting 14 games..

$1M bonus for making the pro bowl.

That leaves about $2.5M a year in annual salary..

That would be an attractive package because throughout the calender year he is getting these fat checks. $1M for making the team, $2.5M salary($156K per week), $1M if he starts his 14th game, $1M if he makes the pro bowl and 500k for showing up to the off season workout programs. And of course $8M up front in cold hard cash. Overall he counts no more than $7M a year against the cap and we have him forever..

8. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Good work Roll, I like it. Now we just have to wait and see if MR pays attention.

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

He is making, what, $4 million a year now? Anyone have the exact figure? So doubling his salary would be like adding another $4 million on. That is a bargain.

10. ONUV

ONUV Starter

gotta resign him. a dominate DT is hard to come by.

he loves the area and wants to be here for the rest of his career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar