RBs dont make good RBs, OLs make good RBs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Were stuck with him.

Fix the line.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yep

at least till offseason 2014 IIRC. Of course Titans could eat the CAP for the roster slot, but that would be tough too take.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If we cut him in the offseason, we can opt out of paying him the rest of his guaranteed money ($17mil). He will be paid $13mil for this season no matter what, but if we cut him that's all we will have to pay.

I'll at least give him a chance to have a strong finish to this season before I say cut him, but if he doesn't show any signs he can fix his issues (regardless of the line problems), it's time to cut him.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, even though I think the problem is still more O-line than CJ, whether he's lost a step or is saving himself for when the unit's playing better, the Titans could spend a high pick on a RB with the new rookie scale in place.

And to answer the Michael Bush question, he wasn't a nobody. He was a projected 1st round RB no question until he broke his leg. And iirc it was a broken thigh bone. That's why the Raiders got him in the 4th. Since they drafted him, he's mainly been an afterthought and never featured. And their line has been cursed pretty much since the week of the Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay, and definitely since drafting Robert Gallery. Smith was a good back who got hurt before the Lions got decent under Chief Red Hat I and drafted Best.

Most of the backs in the NFL can do something given the right conditions. It's a question of sustaining that effort. The right line, coaches and team together with the back need to sustain a high level of planning, practice, execution and adjustment over a prolonged period of time. That's hard to do and there's too many Titans fans that take it all for granted. We've truly been spoiled at RB in TN. It may not be til next season when we can see some changes to the interior, but nothing can or should be done with or about CJ until sometime after the end of next season at the earliest. That's both from a personnel and cap mgmt perspective. So let's give the CJ part of that equation a rest for now. It is what it is.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The O-Line absolutely makes a difference in what a RB can do. And yes there have been some instances where C.J.'s athleticism should have but didn't propel him in the end zone. C.J.'s struggles this year can be blamed on a few things. Too many factors IMO for us to accurately be able to asses C.J. for the future. If we cut him after this year, let's just say I'm going to throw rocks at Titans management from across the river.

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

no, we can't just cut him. i expect at least, the very least, a 2nd out of him if we are forced to part ways.

even if tht means keeping him another year just to let him show some stuff off. im tired of loosing good players and getting nothing in return.

course him sucking next year isnt out of the question, and a $13M mistake sounds deadly. I can't believe this is where the discussion has gone.

im pissed about the pass rush though. JPP and Babin should be our starters......

7. EnglandTitan66

EnglandTitan66 "The Plump Prince"

We have an interior line of Amano , Harris and Scott. Not even sweetness could get yards with these bums blocking let alone a back whose current form is questionable.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Amano has more catches than any interior lineman in the NFL.

I just wonder why he was facing 8 in the first place, but whatever.

JCBrave, my understanding of CJs contract is CJ could only be cut if he cannot pass a physical. The $$$s are guranteed.

I am more than willing too be wrong.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I used my brain and did the math after today, and at least if CJ can average 60.2 yards each of the next 5 games he will reach 1,000 for the season. So from the running game angle, the season won't have to be viewed as a complete facepalm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar