Rating the pass defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TM, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TM

TM Starter

Regarding the long running dispute on the effectiveness of A. Woolfolk and the rest of the pass defense, footballguys.com breaks down every NFL play and rates the effectiveness of the players. From their analysis last year we rated as follows:

Coverage of #1 WRs 30th
    Coverage of #2 WRs 32nd
    Coverage of other WRs 11th
    Coverage of TEs 20th
    Coverage of RBs 32nd

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.php

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

those number will take a considerable jump next year with the addition of hope and thornton along with the improvement of the 2nd year guys. the defense has a lot of speed on it...

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

nothing will "jump" as long as the Titans keep their anchor Schwartz

4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Veeeery iiiiiiinteresting. How did Ty law do?

5. Other WRs..... hmmm, that would be slot receivers. Andre played 6 games on the outside and 7 on the inside (missed 3 games). Did the article break down game for game.... I don't know right now but I am clicking the link....

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

This reminds me...I need to buy some more popcorn today...

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:ha: Brilliant!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

It's hard to evaluate stuff this way. I find it interesting, but you can't break it down per player without breaking down game film (coaches tape).

For example, a run to the left was successful. Was it successful because of the scheme (misdirection), or because the LT was overpowering? Or maybe the play was designed to go right but because the right side got stuffed, the RB cut it back to the left. Or maybe the LT missed his block completely but the RB was able to break the tackle.

As you can see, there are a LOT of ways to have a successful running play to the left that doesn't accurately reflect the DL or OL's performance.

But interesting to look at just the same. I like the concept, I just wish they had access to playbooks, play calls and coaches tape to know what is REALLY going on. But that'd never happen!

And as for stats, you only need look at a few. First, figure out what the avg QB would have looked like by taking our year long completion % given up, TD's/INT's, sacks (subtract the yardage), yards thrown for. Plug this in to the QB rating system and you'll know if you had a good pass D or a bad one. If your fictitious QB would rank among the top 10 in the league, then your pass D has BIG problems. Another thing I measure for team success is to look at the QB rating AGAINST our D and compare that to our combined QB rating of our QB's on offense. If the one against our D is better, we probably have a losing season! Since you can only improve your own QB's pass rating so much, you can see why improving the pass D is so important for a defense's success!

Gut

9. Guys, I played CB in Mexico since I was 4 years old, believe me, the pass defense rankings is not only the CB and the Safeties, pass defense also includes the pass rushers, and when those guys are not doing their jobs right the CB's and the Safeties are in trouble, even the best cover corner will be beaten if the pass rush is not getting the QB behind the line, we need to improve opposite KVB, this year KVB will be facing double teams and Odom and Laboy has to step up because they will be always one on one, do you remember the Freak days? the secondary was not exposed as last year with 2 rookies and we had a very young Samari and a very very average cb called Denard Walker.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is always good to look for the positive in every situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar