Quotes on Vincent Young

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jcdenton, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowery21

lowery21 Guest

You can't really say that. He didn't go to a ****ty(sports) school and didn't lose a bunch of games.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:rolleyes:

3. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

Am I serious about what? The number of sacks each of the three had over the last three seasons or that I think a flat-footed drop back passer stands a better chance of getting nailed in the backfield than a fleet-footed scrambler?

And I’m not trying to be facetious in my argument either. I admit that a quarterback who runs more will, of course, take more hits, but they’ll be down field hits that he can see coming and can sometimes even avoid by stepping out of bounds.

But you used the phrase “blindsided” and that, I think, opens up a whole ‘nother can of worms because scrambling quarterbacks will never get “blindsided” as much as sitting duck quarterbacks will.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You also have the evidence that the Titans thought enough of VY they used a #3 pick on him and are putting the entire future of the organization in his hands. We all need to get on board the VY band wagon and hope the Titans made the right decision.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

My post is about the effects of hits on a scrambling quarterback versus a running back. You seem to be under the delusion that I was talking about drop-back passers versus scramblers.

6. Of course I can say that. It's obviously true...

Young was a great college QB. Cutler was, too. The biggest difference (clearly not the only one) is the talent level surrounding them. Young had quite a bit. Cutler had very little. Young could not have made Vanderbilt into a great team on his own...

7. Hooky Hornstein

Okay, fine. You were talking about the effects of hits on a scrambling quarterback versus a running back, but you posted it in reply to my post which questioned Ewker’s notion that VY could likely have an injury ridden career from running the ball too much – as opposed, obviously, to a quarterback who wouldn’t run the ball so much.

So please, Titans2008, excuse me for taking you out of the narrow parameters of your safe and tidy little point of view and trying to address the larger issue.

Sheesh!:irked:

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

So, let's get this straight.

Ewker seems to believe that Young will be subjected to more injuries than a pure pocket passer because he'll probably end up running the ball and thus, getting hit more.

You point out that other positions get hit a lot (such as RB) and don't necessarily get injured. (You also cited that Vince Young didn't get hurt in college which is a far from convincing argument but we'll leave that alone)

I explain to you why RB's don't get hurt as often (relative to the amount of times they take hits) as QB's and why teams aren't as concerned with RB's compared to QB's.

You quote it and turn it into me saying that Vince Young will be hurt his entire career.

So, you can try to address the "larger" issue all you want, but why would you quote a post that had nothing to do with it ?

9. Hooky Hornstein

HA! This is hilarious! I’m having fun, Titans2008. Are you having fun?

Okay, let’s do try to get on the same page.

As I understand what Ewker’s saying, yes. I believe so. And that I think is the larger issue I was trying to address.

Mmmm, very close. I don’t recall being the one to say VY had never been hurt in college, though it is true he never had to sit out more than a few plays due to being hit and/or shaken during his career at Texas. But I did sarcastically wonder aloud about how worried New Orleans ought to be about their shorter, lighter, can’t-miss franchise runningback who only put up rushing numbers comparable to VY’s despite being a feature back and playing against arguably lesser competition.

You conjectured that defensive players try to put bigger hits on QBs than RBs. What was you said? I’m not quoting you exactly, but something about defensive players wanting to knock out QBs while merely wanting to get RBs down.

That, Titans2008, is your opinion and you’re certainly entitled to it, but it’s hardly a documentable fact that you can prove.

But you know, that wasn’t even the part of your post that struck me as amusing. Nor was it even the part of your post that I questioned.

HA! What I quoted was the part of your post where you used the term “blindsided” and that brought me back to the larger issue with Ewker that began this discussion. If you want no part of that larger argument, then fine. So be it. You’re excused. You’ve had your say about how defensive players supposedly hit QBs harder than they hit RBs. Good for you.

But if you don’t mind, I would very much like to use your reference to QBs getting blindsided as a springboard to getting back to the larger issue at hand: scrambling QBs against drop back passers.

And my point is: a mobile quarterback is not as likely to get blindsided than a non-mobile quarterback.

Now, there!. I’ve said it. Can you argue with what I just said or do you just want to argue about the fact that I used a phrase from your post without your consent? :brow:

But I do wish to apologize if you think I misunderstood you, put words in your mouth or accused you of saying something you didn't say.

10. lowery21

lowery21 Guest

Well, I had something edited out of my message that would have made a little more sense. Needed to re-read the guidelines.

You are right that Vince would not have made Vandy great by himself, you can't make cheesecake out of mouse turds. However, I would argue that Vince would have made them much better than they were. ...and to a lesser extent, if you can't measure somebodies worth to the team by wins and losses what can you measure by?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar