Quotes on Vincent Young

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jcdenton, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

Ewker - Vince has been underestimated by guys like you for a long, long, long f'n time.

There's a very good poster I've known for awhile on our horn boards. His agenda has always been to attack our coaching staff. So on the day after our coaching staff (albeit with Vince) wins the National Championship, he posts a diatribe questioning our coaching staff's handling of Vince and wondering why we hadn't won 2 national championships by now. I hope for your sake that you aren't that guy.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

sorry to inform you caphorn, I am not that guy.

Out of the top 3 QB's Young was the last one I wanted. He will either have an injury ridden career from running the ball to much (that is what the RB's are for) or will be a bust.

I feel for the 2nd yr in a row the Titans have wasted their 1st round draft picks.

That is my opinion like it or not.

3. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

So you're not going to be a fan of him....even if he IS successful...you're just going to be bitter since we 'wasted' a high draft pick? I didn't want Cutler at all, but had we drafted him, I would suck it up support him. You're casting Vince off before he's ever even played a down.....at least give the guy a shot.

4. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I just can’t help but wonder what it’s based on. I seriously doubt you've followed his career as minutely as any of us Texas fans have.

But the good news for you, however, is that in six months or four years, whenever you discover that you’re mistaken, you’re going to be absolutely ecstatic because of what VY’s doing for your team.

5. I questioned Vince before the draft, but I'm behind him 100%. I'm a Titans fan.

And I hope that our new UTexas fans are patient, because they will have to wait for a while before they see Vince get his chance to start.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Ditto. There is no denying that VY is a special athlete who can do things on the football field no one else can. Although I also had questions and wasn't sure he was the best pick of the three I really feel he will at worst will be an effective enough QB, like Mike Vick who can help us win alot of football games. At best he will redefine the QB postion. His 6'5, 229 size should make him better than Vick at seeing the field and avoiding injury.
    The only questions I have are if the coaching staff can tailor an offense to take advantage of what VY can do best. If they do I think all Titan fans will be well pleased.

7. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

We waited a year and a half for him to get meaningful time in college and even then he was splitting time. Most of us expected to have to wait longer for the same reasons. When he did start it was f'n ugly. Finally, our coaching staff got some balls and let Vince do his thing. From there, as we say, the rest is history.

He may need to fine tune his passing game, he's got to work on his drops from under center and obviously he'll have to learn a complex offensive scheme cold. That takes at least a year. So, in the meantime, we'll watch and root for Volek to do his thing. Just like we watched a good young QB in Chance Mock. But I'd be shocked if he's not your starter a year from now. Maybe not the first game, but a couple of games in, I have no doubt. The PLAYERS will demand it when they see the skills in practice.

Personally, I'd start him as soon as possible. Vince gets better by doing things and being in game situations. He's not a chalk board guy although he watches film constantly to give him an edge. Chow's going to have to start viewing him as a nuclear weapon, more than a development project IMO. So it will take time for your coaching staff to adjust to what they've got as well. They will have to design plays from the start that take advantage of the entire package. Otherwise, you simply aren't getting what you paid for.

8. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

Yep.

‘Saw a quote on draft day where Chow said he loved Matt but that VY had such tremendous upside that he could reinvent the game and that he couldn’t wait to get home and start designing plays to take advantage of VY’s unique ability.

I have a lot of confidence in Norm Chow. All a person needs to do is to look at Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer both before and after Chow. The difference is amazing.

To hear some of the mediot’s denigrate Vince Young and his role in the Texas offense, you’d think Vince Young played flag football.

I don’t think it was quite as bad as all that.

Vince Young played under center on 50% of the snaps in 2003, 35% in 2004 and 15% in 2005.

Despite his three-quarters side-arm delivery Vince Young never had a problem with having his balls batted down. Interestingly though, that very thing was a problem for his predecessor, Chris Simms, who was equally as tall but who possessed a much more polished and prototypical throwing motion.

The bread and butter of the Texas offense was the zone read play which was a designed run (a hand off or keeper depending on the DE) and Vince Young got most of his rushing yardage off of it, so perhaps contrary to popular misconception, VY didn’t just gain all of his yards by taking off and running when his first receiving option was covered. On his game clinching touchdown throw at Ohio State, for instance, VY’s checked through his first two reads before hitting Limas Sweed as his third option.

But, that said, I will admit that VY is still probably the most dangerous when his receivers are covered and he’s flushed from the pocket. But, I hardly think that’s a bad thing.

It was simply amazing to see how much VY developed from year to year while he was at Texas. I attribute a lot of that to his sheer will to win that motivated his incredible work ethic.

I can’t wait to see what Vince Young can do as a fulltime player without having the distraction of being a fulltime student too. And I can’t wait to see what Norm Chow can do with him.

9. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Add me to the list of Vince followers. I've always liked the Titans because they used to be the Oilers where my former all time favorite player, Earl Campbell, played. Well, Earl is now firmly entrenched at #2 on my list. Vince is #1, just as I suspect he will be for all of you within a few years, at which point none of you will be wondering why we Longhorn fans are so loyal to Vince. I loved Ricky Williams, but I did not become a Saints or Dolphins fan when he went to those teams. But Vince is just different. He's like the pied piper, people just want to follow him (including his teammates).

10. lowery21

lowery21 Guest

They will all soon believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar