Quotes on Vincent Young

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jcdenton, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think that Vince Young could have made Vandy slightly better because a super-athletic running QB makes a much bigger impact on the college level than on the pro level (though Jay was hardly immobile). But it's not like they would have won the SEC.

But as far as measuring someone's worth on wins and losses, we're talking about different teams, not individual players. You can't replace any 1 player from Vandy and make them a great team. It's a team game, and every team has 22 starters.

Can we measure Danny Wuerffel's greatness based on his wins at Florida? How did he do in the NFL? Or Rick Mirer, who went 29-7-1 at Notre Dame and was the 2nd pick overall in the '93 draft? What about John Elway at Stanford, where he never went to a bowl game?

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

All petty bickering aside, why is it that you think that a mobile qb will get blind-sided less anyway? It seems to me that even a mobile qb will stand in the pocket unless he sees the defender coming. So in the event that he doesn't see it coming, he will still get blindsided just like a statue. I guess you could say he would take off running if his first receiver wasn't open, but that's hardly the play that a starting-caliber NFL qb would make.

3. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

You know, Titans2008, you and I should sit down for a beer someday because I tend to think a little alcohol could help us both communicate a little more effectively. We just don’t seem to be seeing eye-to-eye on anything as it is now.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I guess.

But just as you seem to believe (but can scarcely prove), based on your own experience of what you’ve seen and heard, that defenders try to hit QBs harder than RBs, I believe (but can scarcely prove), based on my own experience of what I’ve seen and heard that mobile quarterbacks do not get blindsided as easily or as frequently as non-mobile quarterbacks.

And no, it has nothing to do with a mobile quarterback taking off and running if his first receiver wasn’t open. Contrary to anti-VY myths that ESPN shamelessly promoted, Texas did not run an option offense and VY did not have only one read. Think about it. Last year VY threw TD passes to ten different receivers. Leinart meanwhile threw TD passes to only eight different receivers. Jay Cutler to only five.

How could Vince Young find so many different open receivers if he was – as ESPN has claimed – ready to tuck the ball and run if his primary was covered.

But I digress. You were asking me how a mobile quarterback can be any better off than a non-mobile one if he never sees it coming. Granted there will be times when a defender will have such a clean shot, there’s nothing any quarterback can do but take it. But – and I’m sure you’ve seen this – there are some quarterbacks who are simply sitting ducks back there whereas there are others who are able to miraculously slip out of the grasps of would-be sackers time and time again. And that is the difference between a mobile and a non-mobile quarterback: mobility.

Do you see what I mean?

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

or throw a few punches. :brow:

5. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

see Billy Volek

6. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Vince would definitely have taken Vandy to a bowl game. On a team with less talent, having a QB that is a threat both running and passing is a huge advantage because when everything breaks down, he will make more plays on his own or with less help.

But you guys are missing the really big point. Vince Young was the #1 ranked recruit in the whole country when he came out of high school. If he had signed with Vandy, it would have made a HUGE splash in recruiting circles. A guy with Vince's confidence and charisma, combined with his stature and fame (especially in Houston which puts out a lot of good football players), would have done wonders for Vandy's recruiting which would have then put better players on the field for him to utilize. Vince's presence would have made that team better in many ways.

At Texas, this is known as the "T.J.Ford Effect." Our basketball program could never get the top players to come to UT, even the local Texas kids. Then TJ Ford came along and made it cool to play basketball for Texas and it really worked wonders for our whole basketball program. Other top players followed. Vince would have made a similar impact at Vandy IMO.

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I agree, Vandy would've probably been able to recruit better with Young on the team, but there are still those pesky academic enrollment requirements to contend with.

The bigger picture is, the T.J. Ford Effect doesn't really help the Titans much seeing as how instead of recruiting, they scout.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

woulda, shoulda, coulda!!! you must have some awesome rose colored glasses :brow:

9. i dont think that he could have taken them to one of the major bowls, but he would have made the team a lot better, and a lot more fun to watch

10. It just took 1 more win, so it's entirely possible. But Jay won a lot of games with his arm that Vince possibly could not have...

That's all great in theory, but it doesn't have anything to do with the original argument about whether wins prove who the better player is.

Plus, it's completely unrealistic. Young would have never gone to Vandy. He wouldn't have even considered Vandy. Vandy wouldn't have even wasted their time trying to recruit him. Hell, Cutler didn't even want to go to Vandy until he didn't have any other real choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar