Questionable character players-my take on it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nickmsmith, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Gunny and Childress79:

I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. Aggressive behaviour can be a conditioned response. Whether that means a tackle or a gunshot, it still fits in the same general category. Obviously things can't be analyzed at the level of specific behaviors (i.e. birds pressing a button when cued with a colored light), but the overarching premise here is still relevant.

You guys are trying to argue out of this on a technicality. Though no scientist has established a clear causal link (and guys debating this on a message board sure won't be able to), I would say that it's pretty likely there is a connection between being trained to act aggressively on a football field and being unable to control your agression off of it.

2. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

There is a line that must be drawn regarding "problem children" in the professional sporting world. Look at it like this:

"I still support the athlete, I still want him on MY hometown team, and I think he will redeem himself through good performance and improved behavior."

(Line)___________________________________(Line)

"He has crossed the line. I want him out of here because his actions are too truent at this point to redeem himself through performance or improved behavior."

Ya feel me?
    In Oakland, LA, Detroit, New York, Dallas, ect. I'm talking LARGE, urban markets, the "Line" is drawn in a very different place than it is in Indy or Nashville.

I would encourage all of you that still support Adam Jones to draw the line just a TAD sooner. He is Ron Artest, he is Terrell Owens, he is Dennis Rodman, he is Stephen Jackson. They ALL crossed the line, spit on it, stomped on it, and crapped all over it. Get 'em out!

If Pacman and Haynesworth have not crossed the line yet in your eyes, then I humbly suggest that it's time to re-evaluate the postion of your line. Don't get me wrong, IT'S YOUR LINE. Everybody is entitled to their own personal "LINE" and it's not up to me to TELL you where it is.

What if Pacman was your son-in-law? Would you still want him on your team?

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:truedat: :ha:

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If it were a conditioned response on the field there would be more and more Pacmans or Cincinnati Bengals out there.

And a lot of people have anger issues not relating to football.

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

SwingonDeez, Terrell Owens is a self absorbed, slightly insane and attention grubber, but he's not in the class with the Ron Artests, etc. Terrell hasn't been convicted or, nor committed any crimes.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Behaviourism is an interesting theory but is unproven in terms of it's affecting adult behaviour.

The conditioning you theorise on in terms of football is dependant on conditioned stimuli & conditioned responses relating to the football environment. Behaviour away from the football field would be subject to a new environment & significantly not a controlled environment. New stimuli & new responses,that's why it's weak science. By it's own logic it doesn't carry over to different environments & circumstances.

It would be easy to condition someone to fear snakes but almost impossible to condition someone to fear flowers. JMO

7. SwingOnDeezBalz

Well, I'm only 24, and I'm due to be a father exaclty 30 days from now, and if my boy ever sags his pants and shows his pooper to the general public, it will come at the cost of having MY FOOT UP IT in a matter of minutes.

8. SwingOnDeezBalz

You have proven my point.
    My "line" is drawn earlier than yours.

TO has crossed the line in my book. I wouldn't want him on my team or living in my town. You're right in terms of, Ron Artest crossed the line BEFORE Owens did, but they're both on that other side now, never to return....unless they saved my mom's life or something insane like that!

But yeah, would you want TO on your team? I don't think you're wrong if you do, I just think we're different people!

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Congrats.

10. SwingOnDeezBalz

respect

-I'll do my best to teach my kid how to spell "exactly" hahha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar