Question about how Ebay bids work, and PayPal question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

1st time at this, and I put up a higher bid than what was out there. As soon as I did, Ebay said I was already outbid....yet that bid occurred 20 minutes earlier :suspect: So what the hell, I bid again to beat the price it said to beat....same scenario :suspect: And the winning bid is the same guy, and just like $2.50 over my bid.

So I stopped thinking that this has to be some kinda automatic bid-price-upper-dealie. Very few people have bid on it, it's not a hot item. The price is very low right now imo, reserve not met yet.

I've set up a PayPal account, but not added a payment method yet. I was going to wait until I won the bid (if I do). Anything potentially wrong with that?

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

From eBay:

edit: forgot about the Paypal question... not sure what you mean. When you set up your account you can set up a primary method of payment and a back-up method. You can select to use your back-up payment method to pay for your item when you go through checkout. Not sure if that helps.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

So does everything use proxy bidding? I thought this was a simple bid process of seeing what everyone will pay....I mean there's a max bid to beat listed.

Well I guess one thing for the Paypal is since I didn't want to put my money info in until I knew I'd won the bid, I wondered if I had to somehow prove I had the money. Which I guessed would mean it'd have to maybe go through a credit card approval or bank approval, etc.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You can bid an amount over the required bid. Though it'll only show up as the next increment needed to be the high bidder, you automatically keep the high bid if someone comes in and bids an amount higher then the current bid but less than your bid.

Here's an example:

I had been looking for a video game for some time. I knew a good deal for it was $35.00 based on looking at the history of the item. So, when a new one was listed, I bid $35.00. I was automatically shown as the high bidder at the starting bid of $12.00. Each time someone came in an raised the bid, I remained the high bidder until someone finally bid over $35.00.

eBay will only show the current bid. There is no way to know what anyone's max bid is.

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

As to your PayPal question, I always pay with the back-up credit card.

Even though PayPal offers buyers certain protections, it encourages you (by the way it's set up) to draft payment from your checking account -- I assume so it avoids paying whatever fee the credit card charges. But I prefer the protections offered by the credit card companies, so I always use that option.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Ok thanks for all the info guys :yes:

7. Same here. It's generally better to have the credit card protection that your bank account doesn't offer.

But for what it's worth, you can also pay through Paypal without having an account yourself. You can just give it your credit card info as payment in a web form.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You buyin some guitars Bobo?

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

A small point about Paypal.

It's a rare occurence but should you ever have a dispute over something that you've sold & ebay/paypal may rule that you should re-imburse the buyer.If you have any funds in your Paypal account at that time they will take them & giver them to the buyer.

They can't do that if you pay with a credit card.I immediately transfer any funds I recieve through Paypal to my bank account.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Maybe ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar