Question about contract time frames

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blazing Arrow, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

My wife in her infinite wisdom signed up for an ADT contract. The length of the contract was 3 years. I have been told by multiple people (including one of there sales people) that in the state of California that contracts of this nature can not be made for more then 2 years. I am now trying to break this contract because they basically did not ever get the system working. Does anyone have any information on this or have a link to the league code that states contract term length?

2. I would think that if they can't honor their end of the contract then they are the ones breaking it. And I don't know how small claims court works in California, but that may be the way to go if you have to go the legal route.

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I don't have time to research it, but here's a link to the California Code if you want to noodle around a little.

4. Blazing Arrow

I have been looking on that site for a little while. I can not find the correct verbage. I will continue though, at least I know I am in the correct place.

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

One other place you might want to check is the Department of Consumer Affairs (or whatever the comparable name would be in California).

6. Blazing Arrow

LOL, I tried that yesterday after they closed and you just reminded me. Thanks!

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

If they dont do what they are supposed to then the contract is technically void and you dont owe them anything. A contract is a two way street where both parties involved have to meet their obligations.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

My 2 cents as a UK guy knowing nothing about Cali law :))

Put your complaint down on paper in a letter to their customer care department.

If it still looks to you like you have a good case for a grievance, add that if it isn't settled to your satisfaction your going to contact 60 minutes or some other relevant programme with a view to exposing them as a rip off company. Send a copy to their CEO & tell them that you've done so.

That usually starts a fire they want to put out ASAP.:yes:

9. Blazing Arrow

The contract was actually signed for the monitoring service. It gets into a grey area that they were actually providing the monitoring service but the intaller (who are privately operated companies acting as an agent for ADT) failed there obligation. So technically they did not charge me for the setup as it was "free" as long as i signed up for the monitoring service. They intaller half arsed the leads so they would not trigger the alarm if any of the front rooms windows were opened from the top. If opened from the bottom they would work. The main reason my wife got the service is one of those rooms was (I have moved since) our babies bedroom and she was paranoid someone was going to come in in the middle of the night and snatch her.

I contacted Cosumer Affairs and they said I did not have a leg to stand on. :irked:

10. If ADT arranged for the installation and it was done incorrectly, then they should be liable for the work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar