Quarterback Rankings

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titans92790, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I like Murray, especially where they may be able to get him....Bridgewater is the most ready, but I don't know how great he could be over time, and we already have a starting QB (at least for now). Carr could be great under the system, but man, his play under pressure is as scary as it gets. Everyone is just high on Bortles because of his size etc...Just because you have size, doesn't mean you will be great. I think sometimes people forget that, and this is coming from a guy that prefers the pocket passing pick you apart type of QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Alright, I will give it a go based on what I have seen:

1. Bridgewater -- Have him here basically because I see him as the safest pick out of the bunch. Probably another Philip Rivers type. Not a very high ceiling but should be quite good. Not great at anything but anywhere from good enough to solid at everything. Also appears to be a good leader. Great fit for the new offense.
    2. Garopollo -- Biggest knock will be that he played for an FCS school. However when it comes to FCS QBs when you find a good one you really find a good one. Most FCS and D2 QBs drafted early have long and productive careers. A lower percentage of first round FCS QBs become busts than FBS QBs. He has shown the ability to improve each year, is a natural leader and has an amazing release. And when playing against higher level competition His jitters issue can be overcome and would be minimized in Whiz's offense.
    3. Bortles -- In many ways he is Jake Locker take 2. I think overall Locker was a better prospect coming out. Jake's biggest weakness, being injury prone, was not known at the time. Height is the only area where Bortles is better than Locker was. That being said we do not need someone to start day one and can afford to take a development guy.
    4. Carr -- Most impressive when it comes to the eye test. Looks like a stud QB, has the best arm, good throwing motion (unlike his much older brother), decent accuracy and good stats. Digging deeper though Carr does not play well under pressure--both figuratively and literally. His performance suffers when he is pressured, against tougher competition (unlike Garoppolo), and at key moments in games. He could end up being amazing. He could end up being guy who is great in the regular season and terrible in the playoffs. Or he could end up being terrible.
    5. Brett Smith -- Going out on a limb here. Major project player similar to Kaepernick. Though he played for a worse team and has less experience. Probably the best runner out of the decent QB prospects. Good arm, accuracy, can throw well on the run. Will need a lot of development but could be a strong QB.

4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Nice...but Smith over Murray or Fales for this system? Interesting. I do think he has a good arm and some skills.

5. The Hammer

Do not see the upside with Murray and not a big fan of Fales.

6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah. I think Fales could be good in the right system, but I am with you. I think Murray's stock has a big black eye due to his injury and his size...I do think he can be good though. He could easily be a steal if taken 2nd or 3rd.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Derek Carr
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Blake Bortles
    Brett Smith
    Garoppolo
    Manziel
    Murray
    Mettenburger

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'll only rank the guys I know the most about, not going to rank guys I've seen hardly any game tape (extended youtube highlights or me watching during the season drunk probably)

1. Bridgewater: The extended 2 weeks may hurt him the most or it's one big elaborate smoke screen. I really like him, don't think he'll ever be an elite QB but can definitely lead an offense. He won't put up Brady, Manning, or Brees numbers but I think he can be a QB like Matt Ryan, maybe a bit better.

2. Carr: He's not his brother, he's going to improve on his poise in the pocket. Give him some nice pass protection and an offense that's built around his strengths (hello Tennessee) and he can be a good one.

3. Manziel: He's done things on the field that have been jaw dropping at times, purely remarkable when watching him live. My only concern is his size, I think he can get it done on the field on Sundays but holding up a whole season is my concern. Scares me more than usual because of our current starting QB...

4. Murray: If it wasn't for his injury he would probably go 1st round, have scouts not learned that not everything is about size? I do question him late in games but if he's there in the 2nd or we somehow get a 3rd I would be very excited if we drafted him.

Mettenberger and Bortles have seen but I don't think they're worth ranking, Bortles will be the top 5 QB bust out of the class. His mechanics are horrible and every time I watch him play I don't understand the hype around the guy. I really hope we stay away.

9. The Hammer

So what is your ranking

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

1. Blake Bortles -- He has a smooth delivery and Roethlisberger like size and mentality. He does a nice job throwing on the run. His accuracy (ball placement) needs improvement. He doesn't have elite arm strength but this is BS lol -- it's strong enough. He throws with confidence into tight windows, which is nice to see, but its lead to some picks. Also needs to do a better job looking off DBs

2. Teddy Bridgewater - Despite not much mobility, he does have escapability and throws well on the run. Stays incredibly composed in the face of pressure. Simply makes his progressions, steps up and makes a good throw. Statistically, he was actually the best NCAA QB vs the blitz. Also lacks elite arm strength but its good enough. He isn't a terrific athlete. Will take some big hits which is scary considering his small frame. I also thought vs weak competition, he didn't light up the boards enough.

3. Derek Carr -- Throws a really nice fade. Great accuracy, fits the football well in tight windows. Very strong arm with nice velocity and touch on his throws down field. Has enough athleticism to allude sacks and pick up yards with his feet. Does a very nice job reading defenses -- he's clearly very football smart. Obviously the concern is how magically poor his accuracy becomes in the face of pressure. He rushes throws to avoid the hit, and often misses his target.

4. Johnny Manziel - Flat out, I don't like him. Originally had him at #3 but have decided Carr is better. Tempted to put him even lower but here he is. He's obviously dynamic, a special athlete with incredible escapability. Speed, great runner. Alludes sacks incredibly. very erratic accuracy while throwing in a clean pocket, a huge concern to me. Accuracy improves on the run, and when flustered. Nice trait, but the clean pocket accuracy is more important. He'll throw into a huge traffic jam and hope for the best.

5. Aaron Murray -- My guy at #42. Great deep ball, play action, pump fake etc. He throws a tight spiral and is relatively accurate. Balled out in top conf for 4 years. ACL inj doesn't concern me because he isn't dual threat QB. Height doesn't bother me either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar