QB Billy Volek Released By Chargers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

The San Diego Chargers announced Friday that they have released longtime backup quarterback Billy Volek.

The Chargers appear poised to move forward with Charlie Whitehurst as Philip Riversā€˜ primary backup. They will likely also use a mid- to late-round pick on a quarterback.

Whitehurst returned to San Diego on a two-year deal Friday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...release-volek-after-bringing-back-whitehurst/

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

That's one former Fisher player that probably isn't going back...

3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Something i always thought odd was Volek threw back to back 400 yard games here in Tennessee and was actually going to be the starting QB here in Vince Young's rookie year.He played really well here then they trade him to the Chargers and there was a playoff game where Volek helped the Chargers beat the Indy Colts in Indy.So it may just be me but i've been under the impression that Billy Volek could've easily been a starting QB somewhere and made some pretty good money doing it.I just don't understand why he didn't parlay some of the things he did into maybe getting some good money and a starters job somewhere besides being a backup QB In San Diego.In my personal opinion even a few years ago Volek was better than half the starters in the league.Back then or even now he is better than David Carr,Kyle Boller,Josh McCown,Chad Henne,Brady Quinn,Matt Cassell,David Garrard,Trent Edwards,etc.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

He could have been a starter somewhere. I bet he would have had a pretty good career too.

If I remember correctly, he signed to compete with Brees before Brees became what he was. I guess Brees left, then the Chargers drafted Eli and that whole mess.

I THINK, he thought he could beat out Brees, or take his spot while he was injured. Brees was an entirely different QB looking back at things lol.

5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

No. Volek was traded after the Titans signed Kerry Collins. He got pissed at the Vince pick and KC signing and asked for a trade. Phillip Rivers was already the starter in San Diego.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Ah

well then I was way off.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Yeah. I always kind of felt bad for him. He filled in and played well and thought he was taking over for McNair, then he ends up 3rd string.

In the process, he did something to burn a bridge with Fisher.

8. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Well, there you go. The back up plan if we don't land Manning

9. amy

amy Starter

punched his lights out, perhaps? :D He was probably mad enough to do it!

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

In 2006 He would have been a great option over Collins. Unfortunately for him, he spent most of his productive years rotting on the bench.
    Maybe too late for him to start now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar