Pros & Cons of Starting Vince Young Against the Colts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansJonne, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Like I (and now another member) have said, if you have never watched McNair (particularly in his early years).

Well IMO, Vince hasn't gotten his second chance yet.
    If he comes out (barring a little bit of leeway in the first two games he gets stuck back in), stinkin it up for the rest of the season, I will chalk him up as a loss for the team.

Please show me anywhere in any of my posts, where I've blindly crowned Vince. You will find no comments of 'he's awesome', 'he's played stellarly', blah blah. I only state facts and use common sense to make speculatory statements.
    Like your statement above this one:
    ..we are approximately 98% in agreement on this. You're just on the pessimistic(and negative) side of that statement whereas I'm on the optimistic side.
    I'm not denying one iota that Vince dug himself a deep hole last year (although I think there were other factors beyond his control that made his situation unneccessarily worse for him), but for me to sit here and refuse to admit that he's improved over last year, would be a cop out.
    I also don't see how Mac9's untimely demise DIDN'T put things into perspective for Vince. Vince knows this may be his last shot and I'm optimistic that he'll come out here and make the best of it; he will need help though.*

Do you think the 2nd string O-line is going to block as well as the starters?

First off, I don't think Vince played THAT well in the pre-season. I think he played well enough to show that he has made improvement. Enough improvement that I don't think he will totally suck :grrr::grrr::grrr: if we put him in this season.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to see a 15th year starting QB do those same exact things in the regular seaso...oh wait. Too late!

Kinda like Collins did in the Jets' game?

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

WRONG!

I'm a Vince fan, and like most Vince fans will say, we don't know what Vince is going to play like.

Even if it's as bad as 2007, it's not much different than what we've been watching in 2009. If it is that bad, or worse, then we know we have to look for a QB next offseason. If it's better, or the same with added rushing, then maybe we can win some games this season. One way or another, we'd find out if we have a QB for the future. Unless you are looking forward to Kerry in 2010.

In 4 of our last 5 games (going back to the Ravens loss), Collins had a chance for a winning drive late in the game. I think it's possible Vince delivers on one of those drives. Certainly can't be worse.

3. eds clothing

eds clothing Camp Fodder

You say a 4th year pro should not make that throw. Did you not watch last week game and see KC throw the ball were there were 3 defenders. It hap pends he's been in the league what 15 years hell Farve will still make bone head decisions . Guys at my work are Cowboys fan and they hate Romo I keep telling no to give up on him Qb have good and bad season unless your name Manning.:grrr:

4. thawardasa

thawardasa Camp Fodder

Could you please link the story from MCM? Link

5. earlers

earlers Camp Fodder

Well, if you had seen McNair in his first couple of seasons, you would know that VY has played better than him. YES, played better than McNair even though he threw more interceptions. Hell, McNair fumbled the ball 16 times when he became a starter in his 3rd year. Anyone who watched McNair start will agree on this.

So logic would probably tell you that if VY played better than McNair in his first two years, then there's a great probability that VY will equal or be better than McNair.

Hell only reason Steve got his job back was because O'Donnell got hurt.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Maybe we can get him in the offseason?

;)

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Ugh. First off we don't have Randy Moss or Sam Aiken on this team. And as I said which you ignored, lots of young backup QBs have done really well in pre season.

I would agree with this and yes I am on the pessimistic side but I wouldn't be if I didn't arrive at the conclusions about Vince that I had arrived at. I was the biggest Merril Hodges hater for a long time but now I've come around and see what he was talking about this whole time.

I did and Collins has made some terrible throws this year. If the defense can figure out their problems maybe Collins can get back to managing games as opposed to unsuccessfully trying to win them. Either way I want a play maker at QB for next season.

Yet McNair started 16 games his 3rd and 4th year, Young has started 1 game his 3rd and 4th year. Now there's a reason for that. Why else would Young lose his job to injury? There is a reason and the reason IMO was he wasn't able to play in the NFL at that point and I'm not sure he ever will.

8. earlers

earlers Camp Fodder

You really don't follow the Titans ....do you? Steve almost lost his job in 99.
    In Steve's 3rd year, he had 14td and 18 turnovers. In his 4th year, he had 15 td and 12turnovers. Yeah...he was lighting it up and moving the chains to a 8-8 record. There were people that wanted to run Steve out of the league because of guess what??? ...he couldn't read defenses. During the Super Bowl run, what was the knock on the Titans? They couldn't throw the ball down the field.

Steve hardly ever threw interceptions because he rarely threw the ball downfield. Follow the Titans more closely next time!

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I've been a fan since 98 so while I missed Steve's first couple years I did see plenty. And please stop bringing up McNair. Young isn't McNair, never has been never will be. They wont develop the exact same and what I saw from McNair all those years ago with the early struggles isn't what I'm seeing of Vince now. Besides McNair won games for us, yes he did make mistakes but he won games. IMO Young didn't do that his 2nd year, the defense won the games dragging Vince to the finish line.

10. Lord_Drist

Lord_Drist Camp Fodder

Like I told you before, we will see VY starting soon, at the beggining of the season nobody ever thought that possible but here we are just debating that subject. You spent so much energy on trying to prove that VY is not the answer without giving the benefit of him improving. Your math is like this - VY performance = something he does wrong (multiply by 5) + something he does right (multiply by your pessimism or 0). In other words you will hang on to anything bad and magnify while look for loopholes to justify anything good to be outside his talents.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar