Proper fan loyalty

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fitantitans, Jul 22, 2007.

?
  1. Loyalty stays with roots, in Pittsburgh

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Loyalty is your home team

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Depends on the person

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

This conversation came up amoung co-workers. Say you spent your first 25 years living in Pittsburgh and for 10 years you were a loyal Steelers fan. Then you moved to Nashville.............or Tennessee for all that matters.
    Is it proper to remain loyal to the Steelers, or, since Tennessee is your new home, does your loyalty switch to the Titans?

2. ONUV

ONUV Starter

don't see why you would switch teams. that's a no-no in college football.

3. mdfan

mdfan Starter

As an Oilers fan and than Titan's fan who's never lived in Tenn and has lived a lot of years in the DC area, I don't feel I should be obligated to follow the Redskins (about 25 miles away) or even the Ravens (less than 50 miles away).

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think you like who you like. If you live in one city with a team, and move to another with a team, I think is is perfectly natural to either stick with the old team, or gradually get into the team in your new town. Different for strokes people I guess, but I see no harm in either.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

If you switch your loyalty to the Titans you were never Steelers fan to begin with. If you have the capability of switching you are a casual nfl observer not a hardcore fan. There is nothing wrong with being a casual type. Every year tons of casual types buy tickets off psl's they own at LP Field. This is evidenced by empty seats during tough seasons. I realize that there are a lot of tickets that are bought for the sole purpose of resale but that is not the point.

6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Actually you forgot to add the real choice to your little poll...sqeelers suck.:grrhee: Hey, do what you want but I grew up a Chiefs fan, never lived in KC but that's who I liked as a kid, my brother and father were both faiders fans, made for some interesting sunday's. My opinion is long distance relationships don't work in romance or football.:ha:

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

For clarity I was a casual nfl fan before Tennessee got a team. There were a handful of teams I liked. If I were to move away from here I don't see myself not still being a Titans fan. I see myself selling psl's and buy a new LCD HD w/ dish and Sunday Ticket programing.

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

That is pretty much my plan when I retire and move to the gulf coast.

9. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I grew up watching teams, like Dallas when I lived in TX. But once I became a hardcore fan of the Titans...the first NFL team that can really consider myself a fan (fanatic) about...I knew I would stay a Titans fan for life. I'm not saying there is something wrong with switching. But for me, this is my team, and it's not about where I live anymore. If I move to the West Coast, I will still be a Titans fan.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I dont know if I totally agree with this. I was and still am a big Chicago Bears fan. When I was a child, my father used to do quite a bit of work in Chicago, and I would occasionly go along and make it to a random Bears pre-season or season game. The first superbowl I remember watching was the Bears vs. Pats. Still, my all time favorite QB is Jim McMahon :ha: I've even traveled and paid to go to two Bears playoffs games (somewhat) recently. The 2002 loss vs. the Eagles and the 2006 loss vs the Panthers. (And I realize the irony that Chicago finally won a home playoff game once I didn't pay to travel up there!)

However, I've grown up in middle tennessee and loved the city of Nashville. I did not truly like or dislike the Oilers franchise, but once they moved here and particularly got in the colleseum and became the Titans, they became my favorite franchise and will be the team I root for number 1.

I don't consider myself only a "casual" NFL fan... yet my favorite team has changed. And don't get me wrong, I still root for Chicago hard-core, but the Titans and Nashville certainly are the best to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar