Preseason

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ColtKiller, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

The prefix in front of season, 'pre', is the most important part of this thread. This is what occurs before the season. This is the part where we work out kinks, call abnormal plays to put specific players in specific situations, and frankly just try to take a good look at every player on the field.

However, there is reason for concern. Our starters have had a hard time doing their job, particularly on defense. IDK if its a matter of losing Haynesworth, poor scheming, or just playing soft, but I surely hope its the latter. My take is this: This is the preseason, guys.

I am just as disappointed as anyone on this board with the way these games have turned out, especially the last two. But now is not the time to worry. I think we will bounce back, and I think we will pick up right where we left off last year. We had all the motivation we needed after the playoff debacle last year, but now we've got a little more: time to prove what we're all about. I hope our focus is 100% on Pittsburgh at this point, and I hope to see us come out and put it on 'em the way we ought to.

Otherwise, we're screwed. Let's get it boys.

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I don't think we've looked as bad as your making it out to be, that's just me. I'm not worried at all. Barring injuries were a 10 win team.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm not worried until a few weeks of real games to see where we are at.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Me neither, that was the point of this thread. I feel like some ppl during the OGTs are freaking out. To be honest, I only watch a very small amount of the preseason.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I gladly watch pre-season because it's the only time I really get to see the games since regular games are on during work hours/sleep hours here.

But there really isn't much to take from them and the only thing I hope for is an injury free pre-season, and I am pretty sure that is how the players who are guaranteed a spot on the roster see it.

At one stage we had our 2nd and 3rd stringers, guys who have no real shot to make the roster, playing against the Browns first.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

There are a few things I'm concerned about, but overall I've been encouraged by a lot of what I've seen in terms of individual performance - especially from the rookies. Overall I've taken a few things out of these 4 games:

1) Titans hit the jackpot with another solid draft. Maybe got a couple future stars in Cook, Ringer and Britt... at the very least got very solid players top to bottom. Best of all we might have found a future starting LB and CB. Hopefully Marks will eventually be a the DT we need, too.

2) As much as this defense looks to have struggled at times, the starters haven't given up many points at all. We'll need to adjust to the loss of AH, but if they can keep the bend don't break style, they'll get the job done.

3) It will take some time to get it clicking, but the offense is leaps and bounds ahead of previous years. Much more balanced now with an effective passing game. We won't turn into the greatest show on turf, but for the 1st time in years I feel like we have the talent to do what needs to be done to win in the post season.

The 2 biggest concerns people have had are with the O-line/run game and the D-line, but we've also been missing 2 fixtures on both the lines - David Stewart and Jason Jones. I mean, we're a deep team but when your starters are out you normally would scheme a bit to give the backups some help. But that's not what preseason is about so we've just gotten some good reps and looks at backups. The tackling concerns me, and special teams outright worries me.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I don't even know why there are OGT for preseason.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm glad you understand these games mean crap. From late July til Early September teams take part in a period of training ("pre-season training") to recover fitness levels, followed by exhibition games or friendly matches prior to the official start of the season. The games' results have no meaning for the upcoming season, but serve as a way to prepare the players and the team, and sometimes to raise the team profile through lucrative promotion. I don't like that the NFL sells these games as something meaningful. But they do because they can. People love football so much the NFL has realized that and takes advantage of fans interests by pushing these games as worthwhile games. Notice how dated these games look when broadcasted. I felt like I was watching a 1992 game when the Cowboys hosted the 49er's this weekend. Even the networks are in 'preseason' form. Who the hell is Fox 3??? I always thought Fox was ch. 5 everywhere. "Preseason" sounds a lot better than "training time".

If our guys don't play up to their 10-0 expectations, so what. No team is even 0-0 at this point. They're all ?-? really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar