Preseason coming to a close...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ToddTheTitan, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

Time for a cheerful, positive filled, rah-rah thread.

We were close.

From 1999 to 2008 we had 5 real nice chances at the big one. We all know about 1999. Steve McNair had one of the great (and forgotten) plays in Superbowl history when he shrugged Kevin Carter off as if he was 5'5, 100 lbs and slung the ball downfield 20 yards to set up the final play. We all know how it ended, but what a play from Mac and what an effort from Kevin Dyson. How can we forget the sweep of the Jaguars, the emergence (finally) of #9, and of course, the Music City Miracle. What a great year.

In 2000, we had the best overall football team in the league. Unfortunately for us, the Ravens may have fielded the best defense of all-time that year. They also happened to play in our division (which we won) and came to Nashville with a great game plan. They knew our tendencies to some degree. I truly believe if the 2000 Ravens and Titans were to play 10 games the '00 Titans would win eight of those games. People sometimes forget it was Tennessee, not Baltimore, that had the top ranked defense in terms of yardage that year. We also had a much better offense than the mediocre Ravens offense. Strange stuff, indeed.

2002, for me, was our best shot. We rode the back of Steve McNair after a 1-4 start and were on a roll entering the playoffs. I was at the infamous Steelers playoff game when Joe Nedney hit the first FG and the fireworks went off. The Steelers had called a timeout prior to the kick so the kick didn't count. Nedney attempts again, but this time he misses. Fortunately for us, he was roughed on the 2nd attempt, and had yet another chance. He nailed it. In the AFC Championship Game, we had the Raiders on the ropes until John Simon fumbled 2 returns in a row at the end of the half, That pretty much secured the victory for the Raiders. That game really stings because I think we could have beaten the Bucs. Instead, the Raiders went and wet the bed in the process.

Remember the record setting lows in Foxboro in the divisional round? DREW! COME DOWN WITH THAT BALL AT THE END!

And of course, 2008. It still stings too much to really get into detail. We all know how that went down.

I truly believe this is the year we will return to being consistent contenders again. Although we never won the title during those years. What memories, huh? It's time to make some new memories with young Jake Locker and a young defense lead by another 2nd year player who has emerged as the future. This time....it ends with the Lombardi and a parade in downtown Nashville.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

bittersweet preseason.. Locker news definitely was exciting.. but losing mariani was heartbreaking.... we also got banged up a bit as well

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We have something good brewing in good ole Nashville.

The youth revolution is ridiculous on this team, especially on defense. McCarthy and Casey have elite potential. Just look at our starters on defense, we only have three starters (Kam, Griff, and Spoon) that have played more than 5 years in the league. That's insane.

We've only seen Locker in very limited time, but I firmly believe he can take us to the promise land. He reminds me so much of Donovan McNabb. Locker has all the tools and the mentality to be a great QB. His athletic ability gives our offense another option, he just needs to keep improving (especially with his accuracy)

Kendall Wright and Kenny Britt can be a scary combo. But, will Kenny get his mind out of the gutter and finally mature? Jared Cook and Taylor Thompson can be a scary Gronk/Hernandez combo as well (obviously not as good).

Here's the biggest question… what CJ will show up?

Next year, look out for the Titans. Our only FAs are Bironas, Witherspoon, Harris, Ringer, Cook, Marks, McRath, and Mouton. I don't see Bironas going anywhere.. and i'm fine with everyone else leaving. Marks has looked decent thus far, but it's his contract year… what do you expect? We have Klug and Martin right there that can replace him. Witherspoon would be replaced by Brown. Add in all of our draft picks, and the money we have to spend (our cap is one of the lowest in the NFL).

I just hope that our players develop like we have planned. McCarthy can be one of the best LBs in the league. McCourty can be a very good corner. Casey can hit the elite status. Ayers, Klug, and Martin can be playmakers. KB and Wright can be a scary duo.. and of course Locker.

Titans will be back to elite status in 2013, book it. As long as we're healthy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Babs And Wimbley have both been in the league more than 5 years

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I consider Rojo the starter. Totally forgot Wimbley... good catch.

6. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

I think RoJo sees plenty of PT, but I still consider Babs the starter bc he's listed as a #1 on the two deep

7. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

I love Mariani...but let's not make it he is a huge loss. I can only maybe count 2-3 return men that are of that nature.

8. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Very well said OP. Those were some glory days for sure.

I think this is a start to a new dynasty!! Locker, Wright, and McCarthy. I think they will be a solid core for our team!

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If you read this in Clint Eastwood's voice it sounds really good. And the Locker era will bring better memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar