Predictions: Studs and Duds of 2008

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

STUDS

QB:
    Brees...has a plethora of weapons, pretty much a lock to finish in the top 5.
    Palmer...most underrated QB in the NFL. Has Housh in a contract year. :yes:
    Cutler...He has one of the best young WRs in the game. I think he has a good year.
    Eli...I think he hits the brink of elite this year. Call me crazy.
    Brady...Don't really need to say anything here.
    Roethlisberger...A good running game, a good receiving core and a good arm. But does have a tough schedule.
    Warner...He's hitting the end of the road but he can still chuck it. I like him a lot this year.

RB:
    Barber...Finally gets the starting job, and prove he's worthy for sure.
    Gore...APY machine this year. Will be a nice security blanket for Martz/O'Sullivan.
    Thomas Jones...Now has Favre and a revamped line. He's a workhorse and no one's waiting to take his spot.
    CJ...Like Gore, an APY machine. Will be drafted within the first 3 rounds next year in fantasy drafts.
    Turner...Will get tons of carries, and will produce.
    LJ...Chan Gailey at OC means lots of carries and lots of production.

WR:
    Owens...He's motivated to win. That's all that needs to be said.
    Marshall...May be the best young WR in the league. Cutler loves him. Look for 105 catches this year.
    Andre Johnson...He's a freak, and I think this is the year he finally stays healthy.
    Steve Smith....returns to form now that Delhomme's back.
    Meachem....Eventually takes over the #2 role, and puts up some nice numbers.
    Calvin...Breaks out this year. Big time. 1200 yards, 9 TDs is my bet, that's the low of course.
    Bowe...A relationship with Croyle that reminds me a lot of the Cutler/Marshall one. He'll get a ton of looks.
    Edwards...Follows up last year with an even bigger year.

TE:
    Crumpler...He will be VY's scapegoat and has some of the best hands in the entire league at any position.
    Zach Miller...Becomes Russell's go to guy.
    Owen Daniels...A lot like Witten. Nothing special, just gets open and catches everything.
    Dustin Keller...Once he gets ahead of Baker/Franks, he'll put up really nice numbers. Favre loves the TE.
    Winslow...He's a badass. May be my favorite non-Titan.
    Heap...I think he rebounds for a pretty decent year.

...will do "Duds" after work.

2. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I hate to disagree, but I think Schaub is going to have a good year if healthy. He is accurate and has a ton of firepower outside. If they had a RB they could count on, I would be scared of Houston this year, because their WRs are dangerous and their DL is getting to be pretty good.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

The only weapon Schaub has is Andre Johnson, and neither of them can stay healthy. He'll do well in games they both start, and badly in games that he has to play without Andre Johnson.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I'm going to make my picks a little out on a limb.

Studs

QB

J.T. O'Sullivan- Here's the thing about Martz he just has a knack of taking nobodies and turning them into great players. He did it with Warner, Kitna, and now O'Sullivan. Their receivers aren't bad but Frank Gore will help.

Chad Penninton- He wont have a HUGE year but he should put up some pretty good numbers. I'm not saying he's going to be spectacular but I could see him playing as well as he did in 06.

Jake Delhomme- Not only do I think the Panthers will make the playoffs I could see them go deep. Their not as bad as people think, 7-9 with 4 QB last year 3 of which were Carr, Moore and old man Testaverde. If Jake's arm can hold up I think he's going to be back to his pro bowl self.

Duds

David Garrard- If anyone thinks he's going to just throw 2 picks again your insane. He'll come back down to earth and be the above average QB he's always been. I like the Jerry Porter pick up, Reggie Williams is great in the red zone (although useless out of it), but what else is there?

Carson Palmer- I think he's the most OVERRATED player in the NFL. He seems to me to be a pretty poor leader and he and his team seem on different pages. He has weapons but he throws too many picks and is far from a top QB in the league.

Joe Flacco- I think his first start will be a total disaster. Probably something to the extent of 4-16, 35 yards, 3 INT, and Bouman finishes the game. Troy Smith can't get healthy fast enough because he's starting as soon as he comes back.

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

What's with the roll eyes? It's alright for us to disagree is it not?

Perhaps the rolleyes schtick is kinda like your sig. I dunno.

Jets off season signings:

Kris Jenkins
    Calvin Pace
    Alan Faneca
    Damien Woody
    Dustin Keller
    Vernon Gholston

:rolleyes: hehehe (sorry couldn't resist)

I thought the Jets would make the playoffs before they acquired Favre. The preseason play of the Pats and the fact that the Jets did indeed snag #4 only bolstered my optimistic outlook for NY's other team.

I used the caveat that the QB Duds were relative to expectations... you might not like it, but that's the way I chose to look at these three. They will have disappointing seasons (because expectations are so high). Tavaris Jackson will play a lot better than people think and lead his team to a very successful season (that's not saying that I think he'll put up better numbers than Manning or Brady.... that's not that diff to grasp is it?)

No need to apologize Puck. It's just preseason opinions... I think I'd be more troubled if we agreed on everything (that'd be no fun). That's what's great about preseason speculation... everyone is undefeated and anything is possible. I'm pretty comfortable with my predictions... we'll see how she goes.

6. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

The Jets are not very good. Jenkins is a Shaun Rodgers double. Faneca is going downhill, and he's still just a guard. Pace was a decent signing, but Gholston is going to contribute this year (too raw) and they have no one else to free him up. Woody is also washed up. Favre is a good pickup, but no one knows which guy will show up. Also, he doesn't have a strong running game, and the O line is porous.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'd hardly call Carson a poor leader - maybe undermined by higher ups as is Marvin but he does with what he has. For Carson if the line stays healthy and if they can get a few first downs with the running game his numbers will blow up again this year as they have every years since he became a starter.
    This year add TE Ben Utect to The Bengals receiving corps - Cincy hasn't had a catching TE in years...

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

"Brett Farve is for sure a dud this year." - Madden Cover

9. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Damn. I forgot about the curse. What was Mangini thinking?

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Excellent list buoy. The NFL is a-changing every year and I'm glad to see people go out on a limb with some of their selections.

My selections:

QB
    Studs
    Aaron Rodgers - Deepest WR group in the NFL helps immensely.
    Drew Brees - Not really out on a limb, but I think he'll have the best numbers of any QB in the NFL.
    Phillip Rivers - The guy is a tool, but I think things have clicked with him now.
    Jon Kitna - See Aaron Rodgers

Duds
    David Garrard - Yeah, there is some hope involved here, but there's no way he only throws 3 picks this year. O-Line woes could really hurt him.
    Derek Anderson - The Browns schedule is brutal and there is now way he repeats last year's numbers.

RB
    Studs
    Thomas Jones - They may as well have not fielded a O-line for the Jets last year. He is still the best RB on their roster and will bounce back.
    Marshawn Lynch - my tip to lead the league in rushing

Duds
    Laurence Maroney - I think he's vastly over-rated.
    Larry Johnson - He's done.

WR
    Studs
    Roy Williams - Will lead the league in receiving yards
    Steve Smith - Still has a huge year left in him (even if it's only for 14 games)
    Unknown Stud - Chansi Stuckey (NYJ). Favre will love him by the end of the season
    Vincent Jackson - 15TDs is a possibility

Duds
    Wes Welker - Just can't see the same success as last season
    Torry Holt - Not enough of a supporting cast

TE
    Studs
    Shockey - Best QB he has ever played with
    Zach Miller - Will be Raiders leading receiver

Duds
    Antonio Gates - Injuries are starting to mount and Rivers is getting more confident in his outside targets.
    Ben Watson - Tapered off badly last season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar