Predators to be bought by local group ?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Puck, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I never cared much for hockey until Knoxville got a minor league team back in the early 90s I believe. What a great sport. It quickly became my second favorite behind football.

Minor league hockey is great, but it's not much cheaper (at least here) than an NHL game. I get Preds tickets for $19 I think and the cheapest tickets I can get for the Knoxville Ice Bears are $12. Beer is ridiculously priced at both. :ha:

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Going by the NHL ratings on TV, I"m not sure that losing the Preds could be considered losing a Major Professional franchise.
    Losing the Titans would severly hinder Nashville's effort to be a Professional city, but the Preds I would rank just above losing a good Arena Football team.

3. Broken Record

I'd have to respectfully disagree with the AFL comparison. The value of an NHL team appears to be close to $200 million dollars according to the offers Leipold is getting. The average value of an arena team is $12 million.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Look at the TV ratings for the NHL.
    An NHL game on TV barely gets more ratings than a test pattern.
    I'm talking about what losing the Preds would do to the city's image. The majority of the people in the US don't watch hockey and wouldn't think twice about the Preds leaving here.

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

yeah I am a native Nashvillian...are you?

Nashville has lost sports teams before..remember the Nashville Vols (baseball) The Dixie Flyers, The Nashville South Stars, The Nashville Knights, The Nashville Knighthawks and then the Ice Flyers and I think there is another Nashville Hockey team that folded. I went to all of those games ...did you??

If the business's want them to stay buy some tickets like other folks.

on BTW I started going to hockey games in 1964.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Broken Record, I can remember driving up and watching the Knoxville Knights (I think) play hockey in the 80's and 90's.

Minor league tickets were 5.00 to sit front row right behind the glass. Even when the last minor league hockey team left the cost was still cheap to be up close. Plus you could hang out with the players.

One original Dixie Flyer still lives in Nashville. I see him from time to time in the gym. We talk about how hockey has changed since he played. Players did wear helmets back then and the goalie mask was used in Halloween..lol.
    The game has changed to attraction fans in non-hockey towns.

7. Broken Record

I forgot all about the Knights. I never went to any of their games. I started with the Knoxville Cherokees. They were in the ECHL. That's pretty decent hockey. The Cherokees really got screwed over by the city. After that, we got a UHL team called the Speed. That was during the time that I was freelancing and did some work for a magazine called Just Hockey. I remember interviewing the goalie (who had just graduated from Wisconsin). We discussed the differences in the college game and the minor leagues. He all but came right out and said that fighting is encouraged, not that there's anything wrong with that! :ha:

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Bottom line is that I really enjoy hockey at every level. I don't think losing the Predators would be devastating to the city, but I do think that it paints an image (particularly to 95% of the world who won't take the time to get the details) of a city in regression. Also, as a hockey fan in the southeast I kind of detest the attitude that the culture in this part of the country will never latch on to the game.

I have no doubt that the Predators would sell out in Hamilton in no time flat, but fortunately for Nashville NHL fans, the board of governors is still pursuing their effort to spread the game to non-traditional markets. Maybe it'll work and maybe it won't, but I sure enjoy watching some of the best hockey players in the world on a regular basis in Nashville.

8. Broken Record

Yep. No argument there. The NHL's ratings are horrific. The lockout hurt more than I think anyone anticipated.

I wouldn't stick a fork in the Preds nor the NHL yet, though. They've got the game moving in the right direction and I think the ratings will follow.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:tj: Back in the day, we used original ice from the Ice Age.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

you're damn right :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar