Post those draft grades...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I thought it would be interesting to post the grades given to the Titans in one thread.

FoxNews.com
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/04/25/nfl-draft-grades/

Having lost Kyle Vanden Bosch to the Lions in free-agency, the Titans fell into one of the draft's most complete defensive ends in Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan in the first round. Most teams had Morgan as a top ten pick. USC receiver Damian Williams returned two punts for touchdowns last season and the Titans have a definite need in that area. Williams was also a productive receiver with 70 catches for 1,010 yards and six touchdowns. He finished is career with 17 TDs. Rennie Curran was a tackling machine at Georgia with 130 tackles in his senior season. The only knock on the 235-pound Curran is that he's only 5-10. Curran was also a team captain and started 25 games in his last two seasons. The Titans took the smartest player in the draft in former Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who spent last season as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford. Rolle hopes to one day to become a surgeon.

Grade: B

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

CBSSports.com
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...tion-for-honor-roll?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Best pick: Third-round pick Rennie Curran is an undersized linebacker out of Georgia. But he always seems to be around the football.

Questionable move: I'm not as sold on first-round pick Derrick Morgan as others, but I know why they took him. He will be good, but I don't think he can be great.

Third-day gem: Cornerback Alterraun Verner, taken in the fourth round, was a productive player at UCLA, but he isn't a burner. They have an opening opposite Cortland Finnegan and he will be in that mix.

Analysis:
    The Titans had another solid draft. They went in with the idea of helping the defense, which they did. Morgan has a chance to start right away.

Grade: B

3. youngtobritt

youngtobritt Camp Fodder

Derrick Morgan at 16 was an excellent choice. I never believed he would fall to us.
    I really like the Damian Williams pick in the 3rd. He has tremendous upside and once again we were lucky to get him.
    Rennie Curran was a bit of a reach in my eyes but he was very productive at Georgia.
    I love the Alterraun Verner pick. He may be starting at CB by season's end.
    Not overly excited about Robert Johnson, he fills a need but I thought there was better safeties available (like Reshad Jones from Georgia).
    Rusty Smith is the biggest surprise of the draft class. He could be good but most likely will never see the field.
    Myron Rolle was a huge value pick in the 6th. I think he is round 3 talent.
    Marc Mariani in the 7th could be a returner or could be career PS. David Howard is an intriguing prospect.

Overall I give the 2010 draft class a B+ since we did a good job of filling needs. Still would have liked a RB or OG at the end of the draft.

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I agree with the B+ grade. Outside of Morgan, there were no superstars drafted, but tons of value and quality. I'm especially pleased that we did not take risks and draft low-character and project guys. It will make the learning curve to the NFL so much easier with smart, team players than with supposed stud athletes who have their own agendas. Morgan, Williams, Curran, Verner, Rolle and Stafon Johnson could all make an impact early.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Overall Grade: B

1st round: Derrick Morgan was a great pick-up. The #1 DE fell to 16, wow! Grade: A
    3rd round: Damian Williams was a great selection, he could easily be the returner and the #4 WR. Projected to go 2nd round, we got him in the 3rd! Grade: B+
    3rd round: Rennie Curran. Bit of a reach, big-time playmaker. Grade: B
    4th round: Didn't love this pick. Verner is a zone covverage CB, who lackes in speed. Sounds like Harper!! Titans passed up other good CBs. Grade: C
    5th round: Robert Johnson, wasn't the best pick. Robert is a good player, but I really wanted Hall Davis or Mitch Petrus(pick b4). Grade: C+
    6th round: Rusty Smith. Don't like this at all. He probably would of been a undrafted FA; We could of signed him. We passed on Carlton Mitchell, John Dwyer, Tony Pike, Dan LeFevour, and Deji Karmin, why?! Deji is now on the Jags! Grade: D-
    6th round: Myron Rolle, what a steal. I like him more than Robert Johnson, maybe we shouldn't of taken Robert in the 5th. Grade: A+
    7th round: Marc Mariani is actually pretty good. He played ball with Fishers son ha. 6'1 190, 4.48 40, 11 BP Reps, 36.5" Vert. Marc had 28 rec. tds in 2 years, plus he can return. Grade: B+
    7th round: David Howard: not so sure of him. Grade: C

Stafon Johnson, nice pickup as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar