Possible Rule Change?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuckfro42, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

While watching the Seattle/Denver game, it struck me that there is a gaping loophole in the rules. Denver had driven the ball to the Seattle 45 and was stopped. They came out to punt and took a "delay of game" penalty in order to move the ball back 5 yards so that they would have more room to punt.

I'm fully against the idea of penalties benefitting the offending team. So, what if the penalty were that the opposing team received the ball at the line of scrimmage if a team "delayed the game" while punting?

If nothing else, this would be an actual "rule change" that would make sense, instead of moving the extra point try back 10 yards or instituting a targeting rule.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  2. rekirts

rekirts Starter

I'm pretty sure the other team can decline right? And eventually the offense "has" to not take the delay of game. or is that not the case?

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Running out the clock is inevitable.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I always liked that arenaball rule that the clock stops unless the O advances the ball

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Then football games would literally take all day.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Im sorry

In the last 2 mins of the game that rule is in effect (with arenaball it might have been the last minute). Teams cannot take a knee and end the game. They must get the ball beyond the LoS or the clock stops

I cant remember if that applies to the team behind or not though

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I'm not talking about running out the clock. Teams take the delay of game penalty to get more room to punt. Teams shouldn't be allowed to use a penalty to their own advantage.

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

I dunno..m.its not possible to prove it ever helps.. It could hurt too. I don't see the point in making it illegal.

Its gamesmanship

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You can decline the penalty. And if the offense does it again, the officials have the discretion to call unsportsmanlike conduct.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

As far as I know the opposing team can decline the penalty. I know I've seen it done before, but it may have been in college.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar