Position Primer 2013 - Tight End

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

2013 Cap hit for all TEs on roster ($4.99m) – 4.7% of team spend
    Players under contract:
    Craig Stevens (6’3”, 268) – 28 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $3.5m ($2.5m salary + $1m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $4.4m ($3.4m salary + $1m SB pro-rata)
    2015 Cap Number - $4.5m ($3.5m salary + $1m SB pro-rata)

Taylor Thompson (6’6”, 280) – 23 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $0.53m ($0.48m salary + $0.05m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $0.62m ($0.57m salary +$0.05m SB pro-rata)
    2015 Cap Number – $0.71m ($0.66m salary +$0.05m SB pro-rata)

Brandon Barden (6’4”, 251) – 23 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $0.48m
    2014 Cap Number – RFA

Beau Brinkley (6’4”, 237) – 22 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $0.48m
    2014 Cap Number - $0.57m
    2015 Cap Number - RFA

Expired Contracts
    Jared Cook
    Martell Webb

3 burning questions

1. What role does the 2013 Offense have for the TE?
    Depending on whether it’s Loggains, Tice or someone else calling plays in 2013, the role of the TE is very much up in the air. Tice has never featured a TE in his offensive systems (nor wins for that matter) and with Loggains we really don’t know as he was working with Palmer’s remnants for the back end of 2012. It’s an important question in understanding the value of Cook.

2. Do we franchise Cook?
    I would be stunned if the team and Cook agreed on a long-term deal before Free Agency, given the comments coming out of his camp over the last 12 months. The Franchise Tag is the only way to guarantee he is on our roster next season. The Franchise Tag for a TE is $5.5m. I have no doubt that Cook’s agent will try and make a case that he is used as a WR and should get the WR Tag value, but I don’t see that happening. I have no doubt Cook is looking for a long-term deal averaging over $5m a year.

3. Can Thompson catch?
    The jury is still out on the converted DE. His blocking this season was outstanding and he is definitely a keeper for that alone. He has the athleticism that could be very useful if he improves his hands.

Free Agency:
    With all our other needs, I can’t see us wasting time and money this season chasing a top-tier TE. If we want one, then we just use the franchise tag on Cook and be done with it.

Martellus Bennett
    Brandon Myers
    Delanie Walker
    Dallas Clark
    Tony Fasano

Possible Cap Casualties:
    Jermichael Finley

Potential Draft Targets:

Unlikely to be a target early. Even if we let Cook go, I think they would be more likely to slide the other guys up the depth chart and draft for depth.

Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
    Dion Sims, Michigan State
    Gavin Escobar, San Diego State

Summary
    If we retain Cook, I think you can argue this is a clear team strength. There have been games where Cook disappeared, but it’s hard to know if that is on him or the playcalling. I do have concerns that he is a bit of a 1-trick pony. His blocking is still very ordinary and apart from streaks and crossing routes he rarely creates separation in the passing game. He certainly is not used on pivot routes or sharp cutting routes like a lot of TEs and thus, he really doesn’t represent the safety valve that a lot of TEs can provide their QB. Stevens and Thompson are an integral part of our run game and have shown some ability as receivers in their scant opportunities.

My take
    If we didn’t have so many holes elsewhere, I would be inclined to let Cook go and scour for an upgrade, but we don’t have that luxury this year. The Franchise Tag for a TE is very manageable at $5.5m, so I think there is little doubt he gets tagged before the deadline and our new OC is given the task of making him an integral part of our offense.

• High Five High Five x 8
  2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

You been doing a mad amount of work on these btw. Big ups man.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I have no desire in bringing Cook back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Clark

**** cook. Word.

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Cook can go on and find somewhere else.

6. J Falk

J Falk Starter

y'all must hate talent

7. Clark

Only talent that does pan out and has a bad attitude.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

i really dont feel like creating another need on this offense, Cook is welcome in my eyes

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Cook is our best bet unless we can get Bennett from the Giants.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Cook's totally worth $5 million a year. He's our best receiver. If that's what it takes to keep him then make it happen.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar