Position Primer 2013 - Offensive Tackle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

2013 Cap hit for all OTs on roster ($17.160m) – 16.05% of team spend

Players under contract:
    Michael Roos (6’7”, 320) – 30 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $7.5m ($6.0m salary + $1.5m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – UFA

David Stewart (6,7”, 315) – 30 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $7m ($5m salary + $1m roster bonus + $1m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $6.4m (voidable year)
    2015 Cap Number – UFA

Mike Otto (6’5”, 310) – 29 years old
    2013 Cap Number - $2.075m ($1.7m salary + $0.375m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – UFA

Byron Stingily (6’5, 313) – 24 years old
    2013 Cap Number – $0.58m ($0.55m salary + $0.03m SB pro-rata)
    2014 Cap Number – $0.67m ($0.64m salary + $0.03m SB pro-rata)

3 burning questions
    1. Is the team willing to re-up Roos’ Contract?
    Our Left Tackle only has one season left on his deal and is scheduled to be an UFA next year. The Franchise Tag is definitely a possibility (likely to be a relatively affordable $9.5m), but if Britt has a breakout year, they may want to use it on him too. Roos’ is 30 and although he is still playing at a high level, the Titans don’t want to get themselves into a situation where they have an albatross of a contract if he declines quickly. Which leads us to -

2. Is Mike Otto really Roos’ long term replacement?
    Otto is considered a valuable backup for the Titans and in 2013 his salary is set to jump from $700k to $1.7m. He has started 5 games filling in for Roos over the past 3 years and has performed admirably, however he is only 1 year younger than Roos, so I can’t see him having much more longevity.

3. What are the terms of Big Country’s voidable year?
    I don’t have any insight into whether or not Stewart’s voidable year is likely to be triggered or not. If so, it means he will be a free agent as well after the 2013 season and we better start working our long term strategy for both him and Roos in a hurry.

Free Agency:
    I can’t see any reason why we would target a high profile free agent, but a cheaper, younger guy to battle with Otto is a possibility. I could also see them targeting a guy that can play both right tackle and guard.

Sam Baker
    Andre Smith
    Corey Hilliard
    Geoff Schwartz (T/G)
    Tyler Polumbus

Potential Draft Targets:

I think the only way we see a tackle drafted early this year is if they are comfortable the guy they select can play at Guard as well, and swing outside later to provide long term insurance for either Roos or Stewart leaving.

1st Round Targets
    NIL

2nd-3rd Round Targets
    DJ Fluker, Alabama (OG)
    Kyle Long, Oregon (OG)
    Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin (OG)

4th and later
    Menelik Watson, Florida State (OG)
    David Quessenberry, San Jose State (OG)

Favorite Draft Prospect = Menelik Watson, Florida State (4th-5th Round)

Summary
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Presuming Stewart returns from injury next season, our starters are set at Offensive Tackle. However, the contract situations mean we can’t ignore this position entirely. We have been fortunate to have true stability at the Left Tackle position for a long time with Hopkins and then Roos. We aren’t far away from having to find the next guy for that position and we need to hit another home run.

My take
    I think in general the Titans are comfortable with their back-up OTs in Otto and Stingily, but it concerns me that with the massive woes we had at guard in 2012, neither of these guys got any playing time inside. If neither of them are versatile enough to play inside, then I could see their roster spots in some question. I like Schwartz from Minnesota as a versatile back-up that won’t break the bank and wouldn’t be surprised if we make a play for a guy like him. I also think Otto’s contract situation means he isn’t totally safe. A guy like DJ Fluker, who is listed as a tackle and projects to a Right tackle or guard in the pros, would hold a lot of interest for me in the 2nd round.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm enjoying this series. Nice work.

I wondered some this year if Roos and/or Stewart are beginning to decline or if they are just impacted by the lack of quality players beside them. If Munch and Bruce feel good about them, then the Titans can get easily get another couple of seasons from each.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Edit: didn't realize this was for OTs

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Thanks Jeff. Felt the need to talk some real football given that we are not in the games that are going on at the moment!!

The challenge will be contractually how to get a couple more seasons out of 2 guys are potentially free agents next year. I don't think either of them would be interested in a 2-year deal. Most players at their age want that last big pay-day and a 4-5 year deal that will increase the signing bonus.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Roos and Stewart, although tall for Guards, should be able too move inside and I agree with Carpy that it is tough too seperate the good OL play from the heaping pile of pretty real terruble OL play. That said as much as I like Stewart I think the big guy needs too move inside. Olsen was virtually crippled his last few seasons and he still did good, again with good play around him though.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If we were playing Madden, I'd draft the future LT, start him at RT next season while sliding Stewart to guard and then replace Roos with him in '14 while moving Stewart back out or draft a RT.

;)

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

should have gotten one of the OL that the Titans left on the board last year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think the answers to Carpy's questions are very simple. Yes you extend Roos before he even becomes a free agent and because we expect Stewart to be a solid player for us we have no desire to void his last year in 2014.

No Otto is not a viable replacement at LT. He has filled in decently for Stewart at RT.

No backup player in this organization on the o-line is a viable replacement for anybody as a starter. Stingily could be a viable backup.

The time of relying on late picks and ufa is over. We need to use some major draft capital on the o-line.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I disagree. I believe both Michael Roos and David Stewart are gone within the next two years. Stewart has been on a steady decline at RT over the last couple of seasons I think we void is contract and look for a long term answer at RT in 2014. Roos on the other hand is a still a great pass protector but I do not think that the team will want to give him a third contract given his age.

Looking ahead I wouldn't mind us taking a guy like Cyrus Kouandjio in 2014 and starting him a RT his rookie year then sliding him over in 2015.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1074106-br-nfl-1000-top-32-right-tackles/page/33

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061841-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-tackles/page/30

I don't see Stewart declining at all. No reason for him to decline. Our tackle combination is one of the best in the league at protecting the QB. Perhaps if he had a real player alongside of him.

For what it is worth bleacher report rates Roos as the 4th best LT and Stewart as the 4th best RT.

And your idea with Kouandjio makes no sense since Roos' contract runs out after this year. So who would play LT next year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar