Position Primer 2013 - Guard/Center

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm hoping Hutchinson retires. It's the best for both sides. Always hard to bench a HOF and replace him with a young gun. Hopefully he realizes his time is done and moves on.

2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Honestly I want us to spend some money and grab Sebastian Vollmer and Andy Levitre in FA. Stewert and Roos are free agents next season and Stewert's pass blocking has really started to drop of this year. Vollmer is one of the most underrated OT's in the NFL and I can't imagine he gets more then Eric Winston got last season (4 years, 22 million).

My line moves would be:
    - Re-sign Lutei and Velasco
    - Sign Andy Levitre
    - Sign Sebastien Volmer
    - Cut Eugene Amano
    - Steve Huchenson retires
    - Slide David Stewert to RG
    - Draft Barrett Jones in the 2nd round

That would give us the OL of:
    Roos | LeVitre | Jones | Stewert | Volmer

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. xpmar9x

I wish.

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I've been a huge fan of moving Stewy inside, I think he can really do some damage. I also feel like he can have the Mawae effect and toughen up the interior a lot. He's got extremely quick and agile feet for a man his size, and don't get it wrong, he's a mauler. I think with him playing in less space, we'll get A LOT more...

I REALLY LIKE Valz, I remember him at G before we moved him to C. He was a beast! We played around with him a bit at C, and he also did well. I would prefer a seasoned vet and elite player at C who can help make all the calls and manage the line.

Then as you said, picking up a RT in the draft. I find that ideal.

I think Valz can also play C, so if we can't get a RT, then we go for G and keep developing Valz at C.

As for Amano and Hutch, I really hope neither of them are Titans next year. Cutting Eugene and Hutch retiring alone can allow the team to sign a couple of big time Free Agents this year to replace them...

I just watched the Texans wild card game, my goodness if CJ had some of those holes Foster had, he coulda rushed for like 250 yards....

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We need to get more physical no doubt. We have to develop an identity. You could also find someone who could play guard and then switch out to RT when Stewarts contract is up.

No matter what we need to retain Velasco, add a top FA prospect and a 1st or 2nd rnd draft prospect.

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Per Football Outsiders via MCM:
    On the good side, Fernando Velasco played 997 snaps without giving up a single sack. He was one of just 12 lineman to play more than 500 snaps without giving up a sack.

What I tell you about Valz....

7. xpmar9x

I've only been saying for about half the season he's our best OL. Lol

8. Danimal

Danimal Starter

For years our coaching staff has over looked the O LIne becuase we felt our Hall of Fame staff members would "coaching up" our late round prospects. Last year is a perfect example of the arrogance of management when before the season began it was decided to; "Go with who we have." Well we did and you know the story.

I think we need to draft the best O Lineman available with our first pick because we are in such a bad position today. Having a stud defensive lineman, (and Yes I'd love to see us with one), isn't going to help when C.J. and Locker are out for the year with injuries . . .

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I agree this is a really solid and aggressive plan. I know I prepared separate primers for Guard and Tackle, but there is no doubt a connection and we need to do some level of planning for the future at Tackle in our off-season moves.

Stewart should be serviceable sliding inside to guard, but again, my concern is that when we had a gaping hole at RG, instead of plugging Otto in at RT and moving Stewart inside, we sign Deuce Lutui off the street and put him straight into the starting line-up. The coaches (and/or Stewart) have shown no inclination to move him inside to date.

Getting a really good, young OT or drafting a G/RT like Fluker are the two options we should be contemplating.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You should ask Ryudo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar