Pollard wants (and is) out

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good first post and welcome.

I think the tank was on early last season but that was more about playing rookies. I do think Whiz called quite a few low-percentage plays in an effort to make something big happen (and change momentum) or trying to catch up. No doubt he abandoned the run early but I agree that the run game didn't merit more opportunities. Blame the OL. Blame the RBs. It was simply bad after the KC game.

I think PK reads a bit into Whiz's comments. Mularkey is probably the best person on the staff to get the run game going again. The guy was named the OC of the year in '12 with the Falcons who ran the ball extremely well that season. His short time with the Jags wasn't anything special but he only got one season to show anything.

His success with Walker was about the only positive thing going for the Titans last season. It's possible he was being looked at by another team so the Titans gave him the new title.

The point about Whiz not accepting enough blame for last season's results are valid, IMO. I didn't like the hire when it happened and nothing has changed yet to make me think it was the right decision. I hope to be eating crow on this topic as I believe Whiz has to get three seasons to turn it around.

2. UK_Titan_Zool

UK_Titan_Zool Special Teams Standout

Thanks for the welcome. I have been around a lot longer on this site but never felt compelled to add anything.

During my work day i do the Titan merry go round on the internet to see about the news.

I have just never read any quotes like this before..

I compare it to Munchak.. Fair play to the guy for sticking his hand up and admitting that he has very limited experience. (the scratching his head on the side lines was both frustrating and amusing at the same time)

I could even get behind him with his coaches being what they were because of the timing of Fisher's departure left very slim pickings.
    A position given to him with respects to loyalty to the club.
    and that loyalty (no matter how misplaced) got him fired.

I completely respect the era even though its been a frustrating one.
    I guess because it was totally based on naivity and a certain purity to it all.
    You don't win with good sentiments. *Lesson of the Era.

Wiz was sold to me for being the premier choice..
    he had his pick of the Lions or the Titans...
    I guess I'm really hoping hes not a mercenary

Im hoping I'm still just feeling shell shocked over a 2-14 season.

3. TitanJeff

Bud was from a different time when loyalty and length of relationship meant more than recent success. At least that is what I tend to believe led Bud to making that hire.

With the late firing of Fisher, it was clear the timing limited Bud's choices (and he was the reason for the limit). That limited Munch's options but I thought he genuinely thought he'd made good hires. After the first season, it looked like Munch was turning things around even with the late start coming off the strike with a new QB.

For me, Munch's undoing wasn't his demeanor on the sidelines but that Jake Locker didn't work. He went all in with Jake. Without QB stability and, at least, decent play from the position, you get rotating OCs which was the last thing Jake needed. Add the injury issues to the mix and few HCs in the league can make a playoff run.

The same thing has to happen now. Whiz has to find stability at QB even if it's a guy with limited upside. It's the one cog in the machine which has to be consistent. Without it and I don't think it's possible in this day and age of the NFL for a playoff run.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. UK_Titan_Zool

UK_Titan_Zool Special Teams Standout

Agree with you everything seems so obvious in hindsight.

Do you think Mettenburger is the answer ?
    this is where i fall down as a "smart fan". The draft seems like a complete crap shoot.
    I always feel that the media over there push certain players stock skywards (probably paid for by certain agents).

I don't understand how Luck was such a sure fire QB. to the ones coming in.
    May need a separate thread to educate me on what to look out for.

I like Mettenburger and hope he gets another year to show what he can do.
    but do i judge him harshly because he didn't win a game.

The whole scouting process is a mystery to me.

5. TitanJeff

Based on the limited amount we saw last season, I don't think we can know. He flashed at times so I think he might be named the #1 and have a full off-season and camp to lose the job. Hopefully, Whiz is a good evaluator of QBs and knows whether or not Mett is worth investing in.

I personally think he has limited upside but a big arm can take the Titans a long way if they can get some talent around him. Take the pressure of him with a decent running game and defense and the Titans won't need Mett to put the offense on his shoulders every week. If Mett dedicates himself to learning the game, he might become a Flacco-type of QB which gets the job done.

If Whiz goes this route and Mett flops, he's pretty much back to where he is now. The only difference being he's guaranteed one of the top two coming out and he might not get that luxury next draft. Again, whether or not he should draft Mariota or Winston goes back to his ability to evaluate QBs. I personally don't think Mariota would be a good fit and Winston isn't worth the risk. Drafting either means rolling with them from day 1, IMO. Like Munch, Whiz's future is tied directly to hitting or missing if he goes QB at #2.

Luck was considered the best QB prospect to come out in a decade because he has the total package. He can make every throw, has mobility when needed, is hard to take down, is smart, dedicated, etc. He ran a more Pro Style offense so scouts could see how his skills would transfer to the NFL. He was about as sure a thing as the NFL gets anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

WHAT??!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar