Police report on Vince Young incident

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Them T-boyz, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Did I say anything about how he's acting on Sundays? No. I think he needs to get his head straight. I'm just talking about the off the field stuff.

I'm not a doctor. But nothing in the interview led me to think he is suicidal. I really don't know, but I don't think you consider suicide on Monday and then show up for work in a good mood on Thursday. Vince isn't an actor, so I really don't think his attitude was put on. I think he genuinely felt better, but was never that far down to start with.

This may go down as the most infamous bucket of wings in the history of the NFL.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You have to be an actor to put on that "everything's just dandy" face for the cameras after all the drama he's been thru - suicidal or not..
    Where there's smoke there's fire.

3. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

Guys...say what you want to about media spin but you can go and read the actual police report. It's a pdf file. It is very clear that VY mentioned sucide multiple times to someone. He also said he wanted to quit. Oh and he didn't just "want to get away." His manager was chasing after him, but VY was going 90 mph and the mgr couldn't keep up.

Fisher and Vince both looked us dead in the face and lied. Not just PR spin, they flat out lied.

VY is not "fine" and I'd be surprised to see him back this season. To be honest, that may be the best thing for him. VY the person is more important than VY the player.

I agree with an earlier post in that I'm not sure what the first part of the police report means. It says something like "A player is going off at the stadium." Not sure what that means...

4. ONUV

ONUV Starter

when you mention hurting yourself or somebody else, the psychiatrist is supposed to tell somebody. everything else is private.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Greg

Greg Camp Fodder

I'm not sure what it means either, but the fact that Steve Burke felt the need to call the police into the situation speaks volumes. Basically, his whole job is to take care of things so that the police don't have to get involved and things like this don't have to become a matter of public record.

6. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Does any one know what 6-103 papers are? I looked them up on Google and all I got is that it might have something to do with recycled paper, or it might have something to do with workman's comp from the government.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

They are just papers to be filed for an incident. Nothing special from what I can tell.

The police report seems to be missing critical interviews in my opinion. At no point does he ask the therapist any questions, and she provides no answers.

It is entirely plausible that the crazy player at the stadium and the suicide comments were used to get the police involved. It is plausible, because anyone who has lost a child knows the police will not go looking for a missing person unless there is possible harm to others. Or if it has been 24 hours. You see that scenario play out in court all the time, so it's not unusual to tell the police one thing completely opposite of the truth to get them to act, not realizing the consequences of doing that can be severe and can cost you a court case. But it does happen quite a bit. It just food for thought, because some of this isn't adding up. Especially if it is the mother who inititated all the statements from one person to the next.

The other odd part, no interview with Vince Young. You'd think that would be here. Is that not a critical element to the whole thing. Could you let someone go who had gone off, sped 90 mph down the road, and for who you had notified SWAT, without talking to the suspect..seems like something is missing.

Polices reports get a lot of credit for being true, and objective, which they can be, but most of the responses in them are actually misinformation. Direct quotes, but usually off the mark. The real objectivity is seen in the result. And they let Vince go. I think a lot of people are missing that point and taking everything as being true. And the police report doesn't really deal with that or with any misinformation they may have gotten in process. Which they clearly did, because they let him go.

8. whutaboutGump

whutaboutGump Naw mean?

This makes my rumor a little more to the point, sorry I had to delete it but half the internet wanted to take claim for it, and, I sort of felt bad because some of it seemed to be out there. not so much now.. I think his agent "speculation" tried to stop him from leaving and Vince jacked him up.

It certainly derails the lie that he was at a friends eating wings..

9. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I just wanna say this,for a small market team the titans always have some type of drama going on every year.Has anyone else noticed this pattern? I figured i'd give a brief timeline of sum of the past stuff thats gone on around here the past 3 years whether it be being arrested or making headlines.I may have forgotten a few but here are sum noticables

Vince Young-Crazy/suicidal(who knows):crazy:
    Jevon Kearse-Arrested DUI:drink:
    Brandon Jones-Arrested,Possesion of a firearm in an Airport:sad2:
    Lendale White-cited with destruction of property, disobedience to a lawful order/interference and resistance:rant:

Chuck Cecil(defensive back coach)-DUI
    Pacman Jones-suspended-charged with one count of felony coercion and also a misdemeanor count of battery and a misdemeanor count of threat to life.

Albert Haynesworth-suspended
    Pacman Jones-Arrested-disorderly conduct and public intoxication,Assault,

Pacman Jones-Arrested-vandalism,assault,
    Brad Hopkins-Domestic
    Tank Wlliams-DUI
    Samari Rolle-Domestic

I wonder whos next on are team??

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Slow down everybody.

Mentioning suicide is not the same thing as attempting suicide- Medically, Legally or otherwise. Health care professionals are legally required to report to police a patient who has revealed information that gives the health care provider they MAY be a threat to themself or others. It sounds like the psychologist was acting responsibly. Unfortunately, it also sounds like Vince was not.

There is a difference between a suicidal gesture and a suicidal attempt. Suicidal gestures are behaviors like mentioning or threatening suicide, or sub-lethal plans like taking a tylenol and driving themself to the hospital. An attempt is a bona-fide plan that for some reason didn't result in death- eg person discovered unconscious, gunshot wound to the head that didn't result in death, etc.

The difference in Vince's case is that it barely (if even) qualified as a gesture. This is simply an "acting out" or "cry for help" behavior. I don't put a whole lot of significance to it- these happen all the time. The reason the therapist notified the authorities is because I am certain she knew Vince had a gun (she most certainly would have asked if he had one and where he kept it, and even if he had a plan) and he showed up missing.

I'm betting when Vince's Mom called Fish, he called the therapist- she revealed her findings and just as the Titans statement that released indicated, Fish acted prudently. It was unfortunate with the other timing, but I honestly don't think anything more of it.

The media loves a juicy story- and they will squeeze this one dry. We will have two more weeks of follow-up "exclusives" and others- but for now, Vince is "getting his head straight". Which IMO means little more than growing up. He was never serious about suicide, he was simply acting out in an inexperienced (immature) fashion.

Let's not fan the flames on this story. Support the organization and don't resopnd/react to these sensationalized interpretations.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar