Pocket passers vs scramblers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

after a somewhat disappointing preseason and with both as options; sure the decision on who is the starter is almost in stone. but seriously, with out offense struggling we should take advantage of both. i like what the eagles are doing with mcnabb/vick -- could be really dangerous is used correctly -- i dont see why we didnt do it first....

2. Pastorini

Pastorini Camp Fodder

Kurt Warner played the whole year after a season ending injury to Trent Green during preseason in their Super Bowl year. Kurt set a ton of records that year and was the NFL MVP. I dont see any controversy there.

Tom Brady also took over early in the season after an injury to Bledsoe. I dont remember any controversy.

Eli Manning did not have any QB controversy the year he won the Super Bowl in 2007. His backups were Jared Lorenson and Anthony Wright. Hard to have any QB controversy when those are your backups. :)

Tony Banks was the starter on the Browns but a bad starter. I dont remember any huge controversy when he was replaced but if there was I will take your word on it. :)

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

There wasn't really a controversy with Tony Banks, he sucked, so they benched him.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Yes, there was. Maybe not indecision but definitely controversy. Steve Young eventually said play me or trade me and thats when he started.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Because Fisher doesn't like to take chances using an exciting offense. He likes boring and efficient. Kerrys perfect style.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Any time you replace a starter it's controversy. Banks counts.

Warner and Brady were injury replacements (although Bledsoe came back in the Championship game if I remember).

Manning was under a lot of pressure to perform (mainly because it was New York more then anything else).

Regardless how you look at it, Manning was the only sure starter on those teams who won the Superbowl.

7. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

Roger Staubach won two.
    John Elway won two.
    Fran Tarkenton took his team to three Super Bowls.
    Ken Stabler won SB XI
    Donovan McNabb also got to a SB

I think we REALLY need to point out that most SB winners in addition to having a great QB also have great WR's. Something in short supply around here.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously the best QB is one who is a real good pocket passer but also has the ability to move to get out of trouble or run for an occasional first down. Either way you cut it the ability to pass the ball is by far the most important attribute.

There has never been a SB won by a guy who was more of a runner than a passer. Tarkenton was a decent passer and scrambler. He never won the SB either but came the closest. he has a lifetime passer rating of 80.

Steve Young was a scrambler but he has a life time passer rating of 97.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

And if history teaches us anything, its that things never ever change.

:sarcasm:

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That's a pretty good list of pocket passers that are somewhat mobile. Vick is a scrambler. Stewart is a scrambler. Vince Young is a scrambler.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar