Playoff Implication Game Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose4now

moose4now Starter

You bet.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yup...

That and the Colts getting blown out in their first playoff game this year. That would REALLY send a message that there is a changing of the guard in the AFC South.

Then grab Freeney in free agency and watch Peyton cry!

Gut

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Playoff scenarios make for strange bedfellows. GO COLTS!

4. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

Ok, after re-reading #1 on the 3 or more tied, it appears I was wrong, and we are now completely screwed. I think what #1 means is that we use the division tie-breaker to eliminate any other teams IN OUR DIVISION, that may be in the 3 way tie. In that case, it only helps us break a tie with Jags. So if what im thinking is correct, this needs to happen.

Jets lose 1 game
    Steelers lose 1 game
    Jags lose 1 game

and

Bengals lose all three.....or Denver lose both games

most probable scenario......Bengals lose to colts....Broncos.....and Steelers
    Steelers lose to Ravens(Hope Mac is playing)
    Jets lose to Dolphins
    Jags lose to Patriots

Then all we would have to is win 2 and we're in

Of course I could still be wrong....these tie-breaking procedures are so complicated.

5. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Things didn't happen like they needed to this week. Here is what has to happen for the Titans to be alive after next week: First, here's how everyone is stacked up in the AFC:

AFC playoff standings
    Team W L T Div Conf
    z -- 1. San Diego 12 2 0 5-1 10-2
    x -- 2. Baltimore 11 3 0 4-1 8-2
    z -- 3. Indianapolis 10 3 0 3-2 7-2
    4. New England 10 4 0 4-2 6-4
    5. Cincinnati 8 5 0 4-1 6-3
    6. Denver 8 6 0 3-3 7-4
    7. Jacksonville 8 6 0 2-4 5-5
    8. N.Y. Jets 8 6 0 3-2 5-5
    9. Buffalo 7 7 0 3-3 5-5
    10. Pittsburgh 7 7 0 2-2 4-6
    11. Tennessee 7 7 0 4-2 4-6
    12. Kansas City 7 7 0 3-2 3-7

1. Titans beat Buffalo: That moves Titans up one spot. That will eliminate Buffalo.

2. Pittsburgh loses to Baltimore. That moves us up to number 9. That will eliminate Pitt.

3. Jets lose to Miami. That moves us up to 8.

4. Jags lose to New England. That puts us at number 7.

5. Even if Cincinnati loses tonight and then loses to Denver next week, we cannot pass them due to conference record.

6. If Denver loses to Cincinnati, that puts them at 8-7, but still ahead of us in conference record.

The best we can do after this week is be the seventh seed. If the Jets win, we are pretty much eliminated. One of Denver or Cincy will end 9-7, which would beat us due to conference record. The only reason we would not be officially eliminated with a Jets win is if Denver and Cincy tie.

Even if the Jets end with the same record as we do, they win the tie-breaker because they beat us in the head-to-head category. We need the Jets to lose their last two games. We need Denver to lose its last two games. Or we need Cincinnati lose its last three games.

It will be almost impossible, but they still have an outside shot. I am going to be a huge Miami fan this weekend.

6. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

^^^I think you nailed it.....but i think if we are in a three or more team tie with the Jets and the Chiefs, Bengals, or Broncos then we'll have the tiebreaker over the Jets due to conference record. Head to head would not matter in that situation because the Jets would have had to have swept all the teams they are tied with.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jets have the tiebreaker on us due to head to head, thats it.

8. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

"Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)"

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I am done with this thread. I am confused. I'll check back in Week 17.:ha:

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I DO know this, the colts are doing us a favour tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar