playmaking WRs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it's no secret i am not a big fan of our WR group.

we have guys who can get open and catch it sometimes. we dont have a playmaker. we dont have someone who can catch a three yard pass and take it 20 yards. i think that's pretty evident when the coaches start to play our best db on offense just get a spark.

i remember pacman taking that little hitch against the colts, juking bob sanders and he took it 17 yards. we need someone on the field every play like that.

i know i have protested the selection of ted ginn, and i still dont know if he would be the best selection(assuming gaines adams is gone) but we need some playmakers.

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

we can get a wr in the second round like Meachem from Tennessee who I'm real high on well see how he does in the bowl game against Penn state but Reggie Nelson or a top s in the first round then Meachem second round would be perfect. WR's can be found in any round like Colston so we don't necesarily need a wideout round one but yes a speedy wideout is a need.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

everyone keeps bringing up colston, he is the exception, not the rule.

since the '95 draft we've drafted chris sanders, joey kent, derrick mason, darran hill, justin mccareins, eddie berlin, darrell hill, jake schifino, tyrone calico, brandon jones, roydell williams, courtney roby and jonathan orr after the first round.

we need to stop screwing around and get our QB some quality help.

4. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

The problem I see with taking a WR in the first round is that it is very difficult to guess what kind of production a WR is going to have in the NFL. Look at the receiving stars in the NFL. For every big time 1st round WR that makes it, look how many more are total busts. I find it hilarious to go back several years and read some of the so called experts mock drafts, especially when it comes to WR. Guys that everyone said weren't starting quality guys, have turned into big-time receivers, other can't miss guys are buried on the depth charts.

No matter what position you draft, your taking a risk, but IMO especially receiver. I'm going to try to run through ESPN archives, but there was a story a while back on this same subject. If you sit back and look at it objectively, you are just as likely to find a receiver later in the draft as you are with your first pick. Now if the staff feels we have a can't miss receiver that falls into our lap in the first, maybe you go with him.

That being said I think that with our first pick we should draft the best possible defensive player available, with the exception of linebacker (and corner if we get a FA). We can get a Meachem or a Dallas Baker or the LSU guys or a Steve Smith or several others in the later rounds

5. well i dont think there is anymore risk in a WR than any other position, QB should be the biggest one, and none of these guys r from florida so they shouldnt have any problems lol, and all of them can catch

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i think draft bust have as much to do with the offense and coaching as they do with the ability of the players... colston for instance... he had a stellar year then went down... has NO WR production gone down any? no.it actually went up. now... put colston in denver and see what he is doing now. i doubt anybody here woulda even heard of him.

7. colston went down for a few weeks cause he got injured

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think he knows that.

9. well he didnt say anything about it, he just said that the production went down

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

no he said he went down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar