Playing safety...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Which is more important being a ballhawk and having coverage skills or being a physical presnece who instills fear in WRs running crossing routes and who is great at supporting the run?

Very rarely will you find a guy who can do both really well.

I think having a ballhawk and coverage guy is more important as the passing game continues to proliferate.

That being said...where on earth do we look to fix the safety issue...the FA class does not have many standout candidates. In fact Griffin is often rated as the top FA safety in this yrs class. This years draft class again is putrid at the safety position. I'm not even sure that it has a single 1st rnd graded safety in the group. Barron might end up being one, but I think he really lacks in his coverage skills and ballhawking ability. He is more of the stuff the run type of safety.

I think we need to play Finny at the safety position ala Troy Polamolau. Let him be the guy that QBs have to locate before the play starts because he might be lined up anywhere. Finny played safety in college so he has experience doing it.

I would also give Campbell reps at safety. With his speed and wing span he could be solid playing more of that single high safety look.

I think we also need to look at converting a college CB into a safety. I would look at Casey Hayward from Vandy and then the other guy I like is Trumaine Johnson from Montana. He is listed at 6'2" and 205lbs. He plays the ball very well in the air and isn't afraid to tackle either.

I want to see us get tougher against the run with our front 7 and then have a whole slew of ballhawkers on the backend.

2. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

That's how a well balanced defense is suppose to play the ball. If the D-line and linebackers do there jobs, DB's shouldn't even have to tackle. The only thing they should do is ball hawk and wrap up the WR if they catch the ball.

I rather have a dominating D-line than secondary. Most decent QB's in the NFL who has the time to throw the ball can pick apart the secondary no matter how good. I'll take a D-line like the giants any day.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree that a DL can certainly help a secondary out and make it look good while it is hard for a secondary to make an underperforming DL look good.

The Giants DL really turned it on at the end of the year and it all coincided with the return of a healthy Osi Umenyora. Having 3 guys on a DL that all demand double teams is tough for the OL to handle in passing situations. Their offense helped force other teams into passing situations at the end of games as well which helped the DL.

I think Jason Jones would do great playing with the Giants.

Jerry Gray has said that he wants to get bigger up front to stop the run. Well if getting bigger weakens the pass rush then you better improve your coverage on the backend.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Michael Griffin can be a ballhawk when our D-line is playing well. Fix that and then re-sign Griff. Regardless of who have at safety they'll be asked to do too much if the pass rush is non-existent like it has been the last couple years.

5. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

He might get the INT if it's tipped right to him or thrown directly to him. He hasn't shown me much since his first year as a Titan. :sad2:

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

These days, I think stopping the run at the DLine is of little importance. Rarely, do you see a team anymore that just flat out beats you because of their run game. I know its part of a balanced attack, but you just very rarely see dominant runningbacks on high level teams anymore.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

With that......

if you really need to have your safety come up and stop the run, well, you should fix that as soon as possible.

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I agree with everything here.

A dominant DL is a secondary's best friend.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

In our division stopping the run is going to be paramount. The Texans ran it down our throats. The Jags have a young QB and no WRs. The Colts are going to have a young QB and also a different WRs corps if Garcon and Wayne are gone.

I'm with you guys that the pass rush needs improving. Personally I think it needs to be a change in scheme rather than just personnel.

But in terms of safety where do we go???

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I think the answer to the question is the difference in strong and free safety. Your free safety needs to have better coverage and ball-hawking skills and your strong needs to be physical and able to be a great tackler.

I disagree about putting Cortland back there. He’s a CB and has played the position so long I don’t think you move him from there were we to resign him. I do like the idea of putting Campbell back there. To me he fits exactly what a safety should be, fast and a good tackler. He was fantastic this past year(minus the game where he had so many penalties) on special teams. I'd like to see what he could do with more playing time.

There’s a kid in the draft named Janzen Jackson who used to play at UT before he had to transfer. He could be had in the 6th or 7th round. He has the skills to come in and start right away. He is definitely an SEC talent and the 2 years I watched him play he reminded me of Eric Berry. I hope our front office is willing to overlook the character concerns he has and takes a chance on him because he’s a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar