(playing devil's advocate) Trade Locker and 10th pick to move up and draft Geno Smith?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GeronimoJackson, Mar 16, 2013.

1. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Starter

He's going in the top 10 sorry man. I'd bet anything on it. Seems pretty obvious.
  2. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Should he though? That's the question.
  3. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

Lol.... You got some rough options
  4. Gut

Gut Starter

Like a lot of these 'top' QB's in QB lean years, Smith is - as a prospect - is a 2nd round player. BUT, in a QB driven league, there is high demand and short supply. Definite possibility Smith goes in top 10 picks though those teams would like to take him in the teens or twenties in round one...but then they could lose him. Perhaps Barkley will finally be the cautionary tale that STOPS QB's from going back when they already WOULD have been high 1st round picks.

ALL of the QB's in this draft have 'warts' so the only question is, which teams are gonna overdraft these guys and how many will get overdrafted. There is too much talent in the top 10 picks to overdraft a QB, but for some of these teams, can they afford to wait? They don't think so.

Gut
  5. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

Bills pick top ten and cut Fitz. If one of the other teams DON'T take him, they will.
  6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

That completely misses my point. The point is whether he's actually worth that.
  7. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

Considering teams with out a viable QB can not win in this league, yes. He is the best QB in the class... However his worth is only based on the market for qbs and not in regards to talent in top ten.

BECAUSE he plays the most premium position in football and has relatively good film compared to every other QB in the draft his value will be a top ten pick. -teams are forced to reach at the position if a guy with the POSSIBILITY to be a franchise signal caller is on the board. That's creates the value.

In terms of talent value inside ten... He might not be as talented as 10 others in the draft.

But QB value is different so that's that.
  8. Ensconatus

Ensconatus Namaste

Compare the value to a RB. It's legit mad rare to see a RB in the top ten, much less the first round. Why? Because the market for the position sets the value on the board. He might be WORTH a top ten selection based on talent level in regards to the entire board, but he could easily slip into the late teens or even the late first.
  9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think the more interesting question is whether Geno Smith has more value than Jake Locker at this time. I'm honestly not sure he does. I think Lockers ceiling is still higher. Smith is nowhere close to recent QB prospects like Luck, Griffin, Newton or even Stafford or Bradford. He's the best of what looks to be a very bad class.