Players With "Character Concerns"

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I was curious about what you guys thought about drafting players that have huge "character concerns." I'll use Vontaez Burfict as an example. The guy had 1st round talent yet went undrafted because he had so much baggage that teams were afraid to touch him. Now he has led the NFL in tackles and is a great player.

Now the question, since the possibilities of 7th round picks panning out is pretty low, why not take a chance on a guy like Burfict? Even if it doesn't work out, all you have invested is a 7th round pick which probably wouldn't have panned out anyway.

What do you guys think? Is it better to stay away from guys who have character concerns or take a chance on them? Do you wish the Titans did that more often?

2. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I think a 6th or 7th is fine depending on the specific player. Isaiah Crowell can be that guy in this draft.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This is such a loaded question. Depends on the background checks the teams do, the severity of the baggage and what type of talent the player has.

Burfict went undrafted because people thought he wasn't committed to the game and hurt his team. Countless penalties, bad work ethic, clashing with coaches. Had he put the time in for football but smacked a women you'd better believe he would have been drafted.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

What happens if Burfict establishes himself as a top level player and shortly down the line finds himself suspended?

If the team relies on him, and he misses time due to his legal issues, it shouldn't really matter where he was drafted. He is still part of a 53 man roster, draft position matters little after the draft.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

First four rounds, I want choirboys. After that, bring on the thugs, within reason.

But never at QB. That's the leader and face of franchise.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

Have you guys heard of Colt Lyerla? He is a TE from Oregon that didn't even play last year because he got caught by the police doing cocaine. But the dude is a BEAST. Could have been a 1st round pick this year if he had played and not gotten into trouble.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

I think every football team needs some thugs to bring the attitude. I'm right there with you on that.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Then get a guy like Troy Polamolu who can be a thug on the field and a saint off it.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I forgot what team does this but they've been open about going high character guys in the first 3-4 rounds then after that take the biggest talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar