Play him or trade him...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ShoTym, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Bear in mind I have not read through this thread, so if I repeat myself I'm sorry. I have done that a lot regarding this subject.

I do think my previous answer responds to your question, maybe not in the full context you'd like, but it's an important factor. If the Titans signed ME tomorrow, how long would I have to learn the offense; someone who has never played competitive football in his life?

On the other end of the spectrum you have QB's like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and most recently Matt Ryan who are plugged into an average offense at best and THEY immediately turn that team around within a single year.

I think every QB is different, and every situation is different. In Vince's rookie season, I was bummed that we drafted him because he doesn't fit the mold of EVERY other Super Bowl winner, but I quickly felt relieved at some of the plays he made on the field. I was at a struggle with myself because he was playing well and winning games on a BAD team - but mostly because of his legs. No successful QB had ever built a career on this skill so I wondered how long this could last.

The following season showed me that opposing defenses had figured him out, he had showed his hand his rookie season. Our defense from 2006 to 2007 was night and day. In 2006, Vince played with 'house money' because he wasn't expected to produce. In 2007, our defense quickly showed we were a force in the NFL and I think this was bad for Vince's growth.

Each game in 2007 was magnified with EXPECTATION, completely the opposite of 2006. Most QB's would thrive in that atmosphere, not Vince. He looked awful and in part with every other skill position on offense kept this team from being competitive against the best teams in the league.

There is no science to analyzing talent in the NFL. If there was, we wouldn't even need to have a draft. The teams would just follow Mel Kiper's list and not even show up at combine to scout players themselves. There is a TON of objectivity, evaluation on many levels (more than I can comprehend probably), and most importantly scouts, gm's, and coaches must be completely sold on their own conclusions.

Who knows, maybe there was another Tom Brady, Tony Romo, or someone else looming in the late rounds or completely undrafted. Actually, odds are, there have been MANY slip through. That is part of the objectivity and that there is simply no way of knowing who will be successful in a league where there is no history or data. From an expectation standpoint, those guys have a HUGE advantage over early round picks. They can play an entire career like Vince played the 2006 season - with house money.

Once given the opportunity to suit up and take snaps, everyone gets that chance to see what the player is made of in 'the league.' There are no stats, wins or losses that can sum up completely the play or progress made. I personally believe watching with a completely unbiased eye, with no expectations one way or another, is the best way to evaluate the QB position in the NFL.

The Texans let David Carr who showed had zero pocket presence or an ability to succeed, even with a ton of talent around him, stay around for 5 years. That decision alone held this franchise back all the way up until now. The Lions let Joey Harrington go for 4 years with some of the best young receivers in the league. They are looking good these days too.

The Chargers took Ryan Leaf in 1998. Within the SAME season, he was benched. In just 2 seasons they cut ties with Leaf rather than sticking with him and allowing him time to learn how to play the game. That turned out to be a franchise turning decision as they drafted Brees in 2001 that made the Chargers the team we know today. Why didn't they give Leaf more time? Every situation is different, and as a top pick, he was expected to produce immediately. He didn't, and his career ended fast.

All in all, there is no perfect science. As the first QB taken in the draft, you are expected to produce immediately, that is not a biased Titans fans have against VY, that's how the NFL teams have treated their top draft picks forever. And, with the current contract levels, it really makes no sense to give a guy $50M to ride the bench during the length of the deal. And, if a guy is drafted in the 5th round, he's going to be given more time to learn because when the team drafted him, they probably didn't really 'need' a QB.

I believe this team is in a franchise turning period. We can either put VY in next year and give him the keys to the team, or keep Kerry for 2 seasons and begin grooming another young guy. No one is going to change anyone's mind until he hits the field again because you either love the guy or you don't. I allow field play to determine who I like and who I don't like based on who gives the Titans the best opportunity to win. And, I feel objectively, from a GM's perspective that it's time to move on from the VY experiment.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

But when do you pull the plug? Suppose we do that, and he comes out and plays and we start 0-2. Sit him? Stick it out? Throw Kerry in there? Now is simply not the time to be rolling any dice at the QB position. If that was as good as KC is gonna get, then so be it. I'll take that performance for 2 more years while we still have the D and the all around talent to be in the upper echelon of teams

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I'd trade him for Calvin Johnson.

Lions need a QB and im sure they will draft a another WR in the 1st round.

4. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

I agree. Now is not the time to start moving QB's around. We can still be where we was this season, next season, and even better. If that's the best KC can do for us, then I'll take it right now.

5. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

Who would want him? I think we're stuck with him. I say he stays on the bench until Collins gets hurt or retires. Then he gets a chance.

6. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

Or until Collins start sucking it up, which hopefully doesn't happen.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Zell, Burner, et al, here's an idea: send notice to VY that you back him up and want him to lead this team, but until such time he needs to GIVE ALL THE DAMN MONEY BACK!! that he hasn't yet earned.

8. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

You really think the situations are similar? Warner led one of the most potent offenses in the nfl and has taken the Arizona Cardinals to the NFC championship game. Collins' numbers were bad. Anyone else realize collins had the same amount of tds this year that vince had last year? Yes he didn't turn the ball over, but in every other aspect vince was at least equal with a worse supporting cast. Leinart's numbers aren't even comparable to warners in any category while vince is comparable in every category and better in some.

Last year all you guys talked about how bad vince's numbers were and then collins puts up similar numbers just with less turnovers and you think he's going to lead us to a super bowl.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Even after Saturday's game you don't understand the importance of protecting the football, eh?

10. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Nate,

I appreciate the time and energy you put into this post. Although I don't agree, I honestly can say that I appreciate your position now that much more.

We all differ in our choice why we hate/like VY, but at this rate the only one that can silence the chatter one way or the other is VY.

Thanks again,

Zell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar