Planning for next year

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by razordaman, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Plans for next year. Resign/extend Bulluck, Mawae, VY, CJ, Finnegan. Keep the coaching staff intact. Draft best corner or DE available in mid first rd, DE or LB in 2nd rd.
    VY is the QB, CJ is the engine that runs the offense. We need another consistent WR to help out Britt. Maybe it will be someone already on the team, but I'm getting ready to give up on most of these receivers.

2. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Our linebacker play was horrendous last night. Sure, we were missing two starters, but still. Five things to do for next year:

1) Draft Rolando McClain
    2) Drop/trade (if we can get anyone) Harper, KVB, Lendale, Collins, maybe Crumpler
    3) Re-sign Bulluck
    4) Lock up Tulloch and Tony Brown long term
    5) Grab a solid #2 CB in free agency

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The problem with evaluating our players is that I believe a lot of them would play at a much higher level if we didn't play such vanilla and predictable schemes (in particular on defence).
    When we do a straight up 4 man rush our DT's aren't getting pressure up the middle and the QB's can easily step up when our DE's shoot upfield. On the odd occasion when we use twists and stunts we either get pressure or holding calls. Also our blitzes are easy to pick out and account for.

That said I believe we need:
    1. Help on the defensive line. I think Ford and Hayes will perform well enough at ends with KVB to wspell them, but after that we're talking Ball and who else? Brown is good but not great, however unless Marks shows something soon we need somebody to help Brown create pressure up the middle.

2. Defensive backfield. Harper is done. We were lucky that Rivers underthrew a couple of passes where Jackson had Harper beat easily. McCourty and Mouton do not look like the answer either. I think Griffin and Hope will do fine at safeties if we shore up the defensive line and get another CB who can actually do man coverage.

3. Offensive line. Mawae isn't getting any younger and Amano just doesn't look that good to me. Maybe we have somebody (Harris?) who can step in, but we shouldn't ignore it.

4. WR. Britt looks good, but never get's the ball. Gage and Washington are too inconsistent. We rarely see Hawkins etc. so no telling if they could become starters.

5. LB. For those wondering why this isn't higher, I think we're good even if we don't re-sign Bulluck (although somebody else need to take on the leadership role). Thornton, imo, outplayed Bulluck until he got hurt early this year and Tulloch is doing a really good job in the middle when we can keep the linemen off him. McRath to me looks like he could start in place of Bulluck, but we do need depth.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Seriously?

Like I keep saying over and over, coaches who have won a championship have been fired for less. Shanahan, Gruden and Billick were all fired for basically after one bad season. Sure there were other things involved but they all had won a Superbowl. Fisher has not. He's only considered a respectable coach because of tenure, he does just enough to not get fired. The team we just played fired a coach after going 14-2 who was considered "respected" and replaced him with a proven failure. It's not just Dallas, everyone does it.

6. Titantic Titan

Titantic Titan Camp Fodder

From my point of view:

1) Fire Jeff Fisher: Just because you say he is a well respected coach does not mean anything to me anymore. Respect will carry you only so far in life. He still try's to set up the pass with the run game, when the NFL has changed. Vanilla safe offenses rarely win championships. Good defenses and an offense not afraid to score points into the third and fourth quarter wins championships.

2)Defense: Bye bye to Harper, too old to be covering twenty and twenty-five year old receivers. Bye bye to Cecil, the only reason he blitzed more is because Fisher got involved in an attempt to save his own job. On the fence: Griffin and the entire front four, Griffin can play better and we need him too. The front four may be serviceable but get no pressure on opposing QB's.

3) Special Teams: Titan's need to clean house and start from scratch. Look at free agents to fill this need immediately, we do not have time for on the job training.

4) Offense: sign VY, make sure CJ has everything he needs and hold an open competition for WR's. Free agency would help in this category as well. Bye bye to Lendale, Crump and Amano seriously dude every game a holding penalty?

The Titans need to look at the way they have conducted business in the past and move away from that philosophy. Let's score some points and get creative.

7. kdizzle

kdizzle Camp Fodder

I actually thought our receiving core got better this year. Need to see more of Hawkins, I think. Nate was very inconsistent. Britt had a great rookie year, but not such a good game last night. Need to see more Jared Cook from a speed standpoint and maybe mix in some Lendale White. He was in great shape this year and he is more of a wear down the defense type of guy although its hard to ever pull out CJ.

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Fishers focuses to much on the Run, and just wants to get by in the passing game. They dont really put much thought in the passing game. we need a coach who will overhaul our entire offense and get the run and passing game in the top 10. and for Fisher to be a defense coach is sure has lost his touch. last night the Vols could have schooled us.

9. Titanfan2009

Titanfan2009 Starter

a good number of fans wanted Fisher gone several years ago. He wasn't fired then, what makes anyone think that it's going to happen now? A few dozen fans stating what needs to be done (clearly every organization would win Superbowls if only the message board fans were running the team) doesn't exactly twist Bud's arm.

BTW, blowing off steam via online forums is fine, but it seems some people take the game of football way too seriously. Unless your paycheck depends on it, keep everything in perspective.

10. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

Apparently even the owner if tired of his offensive style because he is giving him direct orders on which QB to play..

(And i sure as hell wish jerry jones was our owner, we sure as hell would have had a championship by now. Critic him all you want, but he wants results and he wants them now.. NOT 15 freakin years having featured the best teams in the league 3 times and have zero to show for it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar