Pitoitua still a first-teamer

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

One of the more interesting developments during OTAs: free agent defensive end Ropati Pitoitua spent plenty of time with the first team.

On the first day of training camp, the 6-foot-8, 298-pound Pitoitua was part of a first-team that also included Derrick Morgan, Jurrell Casey and Sammie Hill.

“I’m happy about it, but there’s really nothing else to say,” Pitoitua said. “I’m not really worried about that right now.”

The idea of having Pitoitua on the field for first and second downs is part of a plan to improve the run defense. Kamerion Wimbley will play more often than Pitoitua in pass-rushing situations.

“I’m just doing my part on the first two downs, to play the run and stop the run,” Pitoitua said. “I’m just playing my role.”

The towering former Arizona Cardinal has an understandable goal as training camp begins.

“I think the main thing is for me to play low, my pad level,” he said. “That’s one of the things I’m trying to work on, especially getting my hands low.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I was really hoping we could pick up Abe and rotate out. It would have been nice to see Abe and Wimbley in on passing downs and Morgan and Pitoitua on running downs. Oh well, one can dream.

3. pepsidriver24

pepsidriver24 @snydzie

I think we'll see plenty enough QB pressure from Morgan, Ayers, Brown & Pollard. Good move to get Wimbley off the field on the early downs.

4. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Could turn out to be a Vandenbosch type deal. We can hope.

5. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I like that we'll have a rotating defensive line.. keeps players fresh. Now we just need that star pass rusher, and we'll be good.

6. NcTitans_fan

NcTitans_fan Starter

you mean now that we have a star pass rusher in Morgan, we will be good

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. RockyTop Fox

I'm not sold on Morgan yet. We drafted him 16th overall in the 2010 draft, and he hasn't done nearly enough to live up to that draft stock yet. Yeah he had a good second half of 2012, but that doesn't excuse the first two and a half years of mediocre play.

We need someone to put up Kearse/Haynesworth numbers to make our D one of the elites again. I have more faith in Wimbley to be that guy than Morgan at this point. :suspect:

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

haha, yea Morgan, the Andre Dyson of defensive ends.

9. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

And the Morgan train is growing. CHOOO CHOOOOOOOO!

10. RockyTop Fox

[​IMG]

I'm just frustrated with his lack of production. Hard to get behind an underachiever who was taken just outside of the top 15.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar