Pirate situation getting interesting...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hoffa, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKtitansFAN03

UKtitansFAN03 "Hey Creeper."

There must be something wrong with their homelife to have the feelings to go do this

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Yes.. its called "poverty"..

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think people really think seals and spec ops are like they are on the movies.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If you take away the hollywood glam, they are fairly similar. Aside from the female aspect of it, the training you saw in the movie G.I. Jane is fairly accurate.
    Just exactly what part about the movies (aside from the glam) do you think misrepresents spec ops?

5. Deuce Wayne

All of it mostly. They're not near as smooth or like ghosts as movies make them out to be. They're glorified soldiers. Regular people we see day to day. They're better trained, but if they were as great as made out to be, we'd just have an entire military of Seals, Green Berets, etc.
    I know 2 personally, and in my mind I believe I could smack both upside the face and they're not going to Steven Segal me.
    Well...one would probably crush me. But he's not a very graceful bloke. The other looks like Doogie Howser.

Anyway-

These pirates aren't even in costume! Gay.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

They're elite soldiers with elite training and equipment, but just because they're just that doesn't mean you can make a whole army out of them. That's preposterous; the reason they are elite is because they truly have proven to be elite individuals in other sectors of the military.

I find it laughable you'd even have an inkling of what goes on in elite special operations. No they aren't ghosts, but you're underestimating the mettle of some of the individuals, as it takes an extremely high level of fortitude, intelligence, and dedication to be in that company.

7. Deuce Wayne

No, I understand that. But the way people assume these guys can just drop in any given location and stealthily pick people off is a joke. If they were that good, we would have used them plenty times before where we were 'stuck'.

They're advanced soldiers. Not ninjas. That's all I'm saying.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Then we're agreed. But I mean, 99% of what you see in movies, let alone an action movie, is a fictionalized, often embellishing perspective.

And you make a good point. While highly efficient, no special operations mission is going to be some invariable success story. Like most things, there are a huge amount of variables to any situation that's going to hinder the chances for success. I'll agree that the way most lay-people think of SEALs (and SEALs isn't even the best IMO; many other countries have a "better" special forces division, and many would probably be surprised by who) as some sort of royal flush for a conflict. :ha:

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

hmmm....Ninja SEALs....

10. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

Don't let people who claim to be "special forces" fool you. A great deal of people are full of CRAP! (SHOCKER RIGHT?!?) I know a number of these soldiers... and you aren't likely to see them in Walmart. Those that claim to be part of a green-barret/seal/etc team... are more likely to have worked for/with them than they are to be one of them.

A majority of those who have trained with the advanced recons will have problems assimilating into civilian life... thus they never leave the army/navy/marines/air force while others hire themselves out to other branches of the Government. Do you know how much they get paid?!?!?! It's a lot of money... for a reason. THEY ARE GOOD!

I'll agree they aren't ninja's and they aren't miracle workers... but they are VERY VERY TALLENTED AT WHAT THEY DO! Its demanding not only physically but also mentally. Men who have spent their careers learning to move around "under the radar" are extremely creapy. Love them all for what they do, like a great deal of them for who they are, but others I refuse to go near.

The movies have parts of it right, and like movies other parts are wrong. They may not be the best out there, but they still get the job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar