Pink Floyd vs Queen CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Feb 24, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD1: Pink Floyd vs Queen

Poll closed Feb 25, 2016.
  1. Pink Floyd

71.4%
  2. Queen

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Gilmoure paraded around as Space Invaders Champ for two months even though it was known he wasn't. :neener:

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

PM me

3. nickmsmith

Lol. Like "Dennis DeYoung performing the music of Styx."

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Two wrongs don't make a right..

5. nickmsmith

Yep. They both are incomplete bands. The guy who replaced DeYoung in the official Styx band is very good. Probably honestly sounds better than Dennis. But it'll never be complete again.

"Styx" is a great show live without DeYoung. Not sure about DeYoung without the rest of the crew. Never seen him.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Put me in the "can't stand Styx" category..
    I just can't..

7. nickmsmith

I like the Tommy Shaw led tunes. Not so much the frilly DeYoung stuff.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Regardless of one's feelings about Styx, DeYoung's replacement is an amazing doppleganger. Probably not a songwriter like DeYoung- and that's a good thing- but look, sound, stage presence, playing style and personality...holy cow I couldn't believe it WASN'T DeYoung. In a way that was surprising just because the rest of the band hated DeYoung so much that you'd think they'd erase as much as they could of him.

9. nickmsmith

Yeah. He is more entertaining a performer than DDY ever was.
    And sounds just like him. Nails the piano parts and the vocals. and doesn't look like an old schlub, unlike DeYoung.

I think that if he were erasable, they'd do it, but he was the lead singer on so many of their hits, it's unavoidable.

I need to see DeYoung once before he quits, but the replacement guy is every bit as good for what Styx currently is... A bunch of old guys cranking out the old hits... And sounding as good as they did in the 1970s. Tommy shaw plays and sings like he hasn't aged a day since 1979.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. nickmsmith

@CRUDS @avvie

Additionally.. I've seen Rush and Elton John. Both vocalists sound like turds compared to their 70s-80s selves. Geddy Lee still hits the notes, his voice just isn't as good.
    Billy Joel's voice has deepened, but still great quality voice. Shaw is the only old act I've seen who still sounds perfect after 60+ years old. PS..Also, Dio did. (RIP)

Tom Petty sounds pretty much the same. Not that it's a real accomplishment compared to T Shaw, though.

Boston's new singers are ok until they try to hit the high notes.. Then they're poop, too. Ruins the live experience when the singers clearly can't do what the original did. At least journey got that right.

Goo goo dolls singer was total crap as well. Chickened out on all the high notes. And that was 5-6 years ago. Don't pay 30+ dollars for a concert to have a singer puss out on the hard parts. Lower the key if it's that big of a deal. Elton John does the same thing. Lets backup singers do all the heavy lifting.

#40 nickmsmith, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar