Pick up Cedric Benson NOW!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's what bothers me Vslyke.

Just because I would've been all for us giving the exact contract to Samuels that the Eagles did this offseason, doesn't mean I'm advocation spending money like it's going out of style.

We are actually in a position that we could've tried to sign one high dollar free agent this offseason. Also, we were a very young 10-6 playoff team, we should be making moves to push for a Superbowl. And I don't think we really did that.

Of course I hope it all works out. And I can see where a healthy scrambling VY, a pounding LW, a speed receiving back in CJ, a true receiving threat in Crumpler, could be the style this offense needs to score more points and be better. And I could see where the defense could be as good or at least close to as good as long as Kearse holds up and our starters are injury free.

And anyway, if we signed Samuels he would be starting, and it would be an improvement for the secondary. He's one of the best corners in the league at the moment.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

We are a young team. However, we need to save our cap room until VY and the offense are ready to play at a championship level. Us + Samuel is still not a Super Bowl winner. And by the time we would be ready for the SB, Samuel would be aging and a big hit on our cap. We need our cash to extend our current players, not to sign cornerbacks, especially not now.

3. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

I don't really want Benson to sign with the Titans. The guy is just a headcase who thinks he is better than he is.

And whoever said that Vince would want him, I'm not saying Vince wouldn't cuz I don't know for sure, but I would not be so quick to jump to that conclusion. Cedric was not the most popular guy with his teammates at Texas. Even then, he had a prima donna and loner type of attitude that was off-putting.

Plus where Vince is all about the team for the most part, Cedric is all about himself. For example, he whined to the media about being disrespected by his teammates right before the 2003 season at Texas. He was later quoted as saying he'd rather win the Heisman (individual goal) than beat OU (team goal). For context, OU was Texas' only loss in 2004 and kept Texas from the title game that season before they broke through and won without Cedric in 2005.

I will say this, Cedric owes Vince. At least that's the view of many Texas fans. Cedric was pretty average at Texas until Vince took over, then all of a sudden the running lanes were more open and Cedric's ypc average went up a full yard with Vince at QB from where it was without him. I doubt Cedric gets drafted in the 1st round and makes as much $$$ as he did if not for Vince taking over the team and really improving the running game. I'm sure Cedric has thanked Vince for that. :brow: :sad2: :clown:

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Earlier post on chris chambers was right on the money. For a 2 you get an upgrade instantly. Remember when benson came out fisher liked him a lot! Surely we have to many running backs I do not want Cedric!!!!!!! I would like a Lito shepperd (for a 3, that we would use for a blocking TE anyway) I think we need another corner not a RB!

5. vslyke

Shepperd would be good. If we could get him for a 3rd rounder, it'd be great. Him and Finny would be an awesome corner tandem. Of course, he probably wants too much money. I'd give him a 6 year/ 36 mil deal. If he wants Samuel money, we shouldn't even bother.

6. Alex1939

Man, no one believes.

Last year, the Giants, a wild card team, won the superbowl. 2 years before that, the Steelers, a wild card team that won all road playoff games won the superbowl.

These teams weren't the best in the league, weren't as stacked as other teams, but they got it done.

If we make the playoffs, we have a chance period. It's all about getting hot at the right time of the season.

And he's only 27. So what, we aren't ready for a superbowl run for 4-5 years? And even if we had signed him, he would be what, Harper's age? The same age as a starter now.

And it's not like we couldn't rework his contract.

And we have cash to extend our players and sign one or two people. I don't understand why people think that isn't possible.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. vslyke

Soon. Not yet.

The Steelers got a gift in the Super Bowl, and the Giants had the pass rush in the NFL. Our pass rush isn't good enough to beat great teams while the offense struggles.

I don't like the idea of spending big on corners. Look at Cortland. He's a 7th roudner. You can get good corners anywhere. And Harper's almost done, not a good example. Also, you do not want to get in a situation where the contract has the team by the throat, like the Cardinals had. You typically extend players in their prime, not restructure thier contracts.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

No, people just have more realistic expectation than idiot arm chair coaches/GMs

And find out how many high priced free agents both those teams signed the year they won it.

Compare that to teams who have over spent like the 49ers and Washington.

9. Alex1939

So I'm an idiot coach/GM for having an opinion?

What does that make all the actual coaches/GMs of the Titans/Oilers that HAVE NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL?

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Not a bunch of whiney cry babies.

You have no stopped complaining about everything and anything since the draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar