Pick up Cedric Benson NOW!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

and by the way, he's not a trouble maker, he just likes to drink and boat/drive. He's not beating up his wife/girlfriend or getting into altercations at bars/stripclubs in the early hours of the morning or getting busted with drugs. If I do recall, so does Jared Allen, who everybody wanted and got a fat payday from the Vikings.

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

It's kind of sad that our society DOESN't hold drinking and driving up to the same level as beating up strippers.

That is trouble-making. Leonard Little killed a woman while DUI. Everyone has a story of someone they know who was killed by a drunk driver. I definitely do. Why is it so acceptable to DUI and have it dismissed without a thought?

Its not the worst thing in the world by any means, but to say its not trouble is imo naive. Plenty of players have had them, but that doesn't mean they should be overlooked.

I believe Benson about being basically Rodney King'd on the boat... But he knew he was on a tight leash, and to go out and get a DUI a couple weeks later when your NFL life is on the line? 1/3 misjudgement and 2/3 stupid if you ask me. Then again, the first thing drinking impairs is your judgement.

3. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

You mention Jared Allen.

Well, if you are going to sign a repeat offender, atleast give the money to someone who's game is elite. Like Jared Allen. Cedric Benson sucks, so he doesn't get that risk/reward. He hasn't been good.

-edit- Why bring in Cedric Benson when we already have Lendale White, Chris Johnson, and Chris Henry? Who do you cut?

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Just wanted to add that Dominic Rhodes was an alternative as well.

Yeah, they all have question marks. But we are talking about a back that would be getting around 30% of our carries, maybe. I don't really expect CJ to get a whole lot more than that, unless LW is more injured than we know.

I think Alexander, Rhodes, T.henry, K.Jones, C.Benson, R.Dayne (even him), would do ok getting around 100 carries for us in a season. Would any of them be as explosive or game changing as CJ? I kind of doubt it. But I think they would do alright as a #2/3 back in our offense.

And oddly enough, it seems that running back may be one of the easier positions to replace, and seems to have one of the shorter "life spans" of a position in the pro's. Which is another reason using early draft picks on running backs 3 years in a row might not be a great strategy.

We see O-line, D-line, LBs, QBs, sometimes CBs, WRs play 10-15 years in the NFL. That's become extremely rare at the RB position even among the best.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This debate happens here a lot. I'm not going to say drinking and driving is a great thing.

But beating a woman is far worse, imo. You hit someone, you intended to do it. You hit someone while drunk, its awful, but you probably weren't thinking "gee i'm gonna go and plow into someone"

Also, one thing that really bothers me, is if someone is, for sake of argument, let's say slightly impaired. Over the legal limit, but not by much. They are driving and, WHAM!, someone else hits them causing an injury accident. Well the person that had a drink is at fault, even if it was the sober person's driving that caused the wreck.

That has never sat right with me.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

You cut that scrub Safety that we just signed.

I don't condone drinking and driving, but it sure as hell doesn't represent the same thing as beating up a damn stripper, or getting into a shootout at a gas station. At least when he did get pulled over for DUI, the cops didn't find weapons and drugs in his car like most athletes.

You aren't the 5th pick in the draft if you don't have any talent. Benson has it, but now that the silver spoon has been taken out of his mouth, he has to work harder for it, the same thing happened to Ricky Williams, Thomas Jones to name a few bad examples. His trouble is not the same type of trouble as those of Pacman and some other nimrods. Hundreds of thousands of people get DUI's, that does not make them murderers or rapist or drug-dealers. It's not right, but it's not fair to group them in the same category as someone who killed someone, or fired shots at a club or something.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't think they even get 100 carries as a #3 and I think pride gets in the way of signing with us (if we were interested) knowing we are fairly loaded with high picks at Running Back.

Alcohol is never a mitigating factor and because they weren't thinking it doesn't make them any less responsible for the intention of the act but it makes them more response for what happened because every man and his dog knows you shouldn't drink and drive.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I disagree with that. Defense wins championships far more than any WR or RB. Defense, QB and the o-line. We have shored up the o-line by signing scott and getting roos signed long term. Stewart will be next. With a top corner our defense would be top notch and then it's up to vince to prove he is an elite QB.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I know a guy who gets drunk and goes out and incites violence. He gets drunk and hits people. He's been to the pokey I don't even know how many times.

100% liability is supposed to be a deterrent to drunken driving. Think about it. If you knowingly want to drive your car while you have been drinking what you're really doing is gaging how comfortable you are with the possibility that some sober ***-hole on a cell phone won't run into you.

Physical violence against women is of course completely wrong but I suppose there's nothing wrong with defending yourself. There are some crazy women out there. Nothing excessive anyways. No need for a beat down. Seriously, hitting women is :banned: up.

Motor boating half-lit isn't really that big of a deal. It's a good way to kill yourself but it puts a much greater risk on oneself. Odds are a lot the .10 driver gets home just fine. But how many crosswalks? How many vehicles filled with families does that car come just feet from?

The guy isn't a scumbag.
    He's a dead-beat teammate.
    He's got talent.

and a great big sense of entitlement that make him rotten and hardly worth a damn. I think this is what Mike Williams refers to as Rock Bottom.

10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

You're right. Its saying "gee, I've had such a good time tonight, I don't give a **** about the safety of other." Which I honestly think is just as bad.

Apathy, or not caring one way or another, is what I think is our biggest flaw.

I agree with that.

Everyone should get irked when you hear about men beating their wives/gfs/whatever... But I think we should get equally irked when someone puts everyone... men,women, and especially children at risk when they drive drunk.

according to madd.org, almost half of all traffic deaths are alcohol/drug related...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar