Pick #85: Craig Stevens, TE, California

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

PAC10 D is weak.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Reaching for reasons to bash a pick that you think is a reach. Irony at its finest right there.

3. So we should ignore every offensive player from the Pac 10 because of that?

4. Nine

Nine Starter

Dumb as the Ravens, huh? Let's hope so.

The Ravens may not know squat about scouting QB's, but they've done a helluva job with TE's in recent years. (Shannon Sharpe and Todd Heap).

If they were willing to use a 3rd round pick on Stevens, then I'm guessing they expected him to replace Todd Heap in another year or so. If they thought Stevens could be the guy, then it speaks very highly for Stevens' ability.

If you're worried about Stevens' relatively low production at Cal, consider this: Cal's program traditionally places a low priority on the TE position. Check the team's season stats over the past few years...their TE never has more than 200-300 yards for the season.

The fact is, Stevens' college statistics are virtually identical to the numbers posted by Jason Witten at Tennessee....another program that devalues the TE position. It wasn't until Witten reached the NFL that he was finally able to fully utililze his ability.....and as a result, his stats for virtually every season of his career have matched or exceeded his entire college career combined.

From what little I've seen of Stevens, it's entirely possible that he could be headed in a similar direction.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Shad Meier was underutilized at Kansas State as well.

We'll have to watch it play out.

6. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Hopefully he turns out to be another witten. But I watched a couple cal games and at no point did I see stevens and think jason witten. Again I hope he turns out to be just like him but to be thinking that our 3rd round pick is the next jason witten is being a little to optimistic I think.

8. Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't SAY that! :irked:

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Whoever just brought up the Witten comparison is exactly right. Who knows, the dude might turn out to be a double threat....an excellent blocker with excellent hands

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm sorry if you think 100KO blocks in the PAC10 would be equivalent to the SEC, or some other major conferences.

Are KO Blocks official stats?

It's impressive but let's see how it translates versus NFL D-lineman and LBs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar