Peyton Manning just had the greatest QB season of all time

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GeronimoJackson, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Here is my two cents about the Dan vs Peyton debt. Dan played in a time when 90% of all teams ran the ball A LOT. Run run run pass, pass run run run run pass, run run pass. You get the idea. Dan played on a team that was one of the first in the history of the NFL that started passing more than running. Pretty much exactly what you see today on 3/4 the teams, and depending on how far down the team gets, all teams have the plays in place to pass as much as Dan.

SO, if you add logic into this, if Dan is one of the ONLY teams back then that a D had to prepare for to pass that much. Most teams were not prepared on a regular bases to stop that kind of offense nor did teams have the best players playing on D to consistently stop a Dan, which is why he was so successful as a QB. BUT the Dolphins as a team were just not that great most seasons he was there, so while his success at QB and that new type of offense got them wins and usually a trip to the playoffs. They were never good enough as a team to win a Super Bowl.

Fast forward to the Peyton years. Passing has grown and changed and is now a guarantee for all NFL teams. What makes Peyton truly special is he was the first QB to ever play the game that stuided SOOOOOOOO much that he knows every possible Defensive play type that could be thrown against him. Even more so now after so many years of study in the NFL. Brady is also a QB like Peyton when it comes to study, and I believe Luck could be that way too. Peyton runs his offense unlike almost ANY other team. The OC doesnt just call in a play and randomly the QB will change it at the line. Peyton is always given 3 plays before each snap. Then he goes to the line and based on the formation of the D and who he thinks is blitzing, he calls out one of the 3 plays and sometimes even changes it all together. He has calls for when the D is trying to sub players off so the center will snap it instanly or if the D lines up wrong and leaves a man uncovered, he can snap it quick and get the pass out.

Dan NEVER had to play the game this way, he was able to just sling it a bunch much like how Brett Favre played only in a much earlier time in the league. Dan was a pioneer of his day and for the entire NFL, but I can never compare him to Peyton. Guys that are as smart as Peyton for Football are VERY VERY rare, and don't come around very often. Which is why you will hear Peyton as being the best of all time to play QB in the NFL for a long long time.

I HOPE he gets the Ring this season as he deserves to have as many as Eli

2. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

He's fantastic and every other accolade you want to add but when they lose again in the playoffs he's gonna hear the same old thing. And only he can change that.

3. NewHorizans

You can say sometimes Peyton has just blown the game with an INT or bad pass. But those games when an RB or WR fumbles. Or his D gives up the 'big one'. Thats where you come back to comparing him to Dan in his team has to back him along the way in order to win the whole thing. Peyton can only do so much. The D and other players need to do their jobs

4. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

that's absolutely true, but fair or unfair he will still be judged by his post season success. At least by some.

5. MCMLXXXIII

MCMLXXXIII Starter

I say this as an alum of Tennessee.

He is old, and has had how many neck surgeries? He is juicing.

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Greatest year ever period. Peyton is unlucky the superbowl is in NY in feb. If seatlle gets to the bowl I do not see denver winning it. In Miami or SD or in a dome broncos win but not NY. The biggest reason manning has only one ring is the fact that he always hogged the cap. Brady took less money for more players Manning always wanted his money and you just cant field a TEAM with one guy making 20 percent of the cap like he did in Indy.

Next year manning wants a ring play for 10 million and resign your players, he makes as much from endorsements, as football. Next year will tell the tail again you want your money or a ring?

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Last thing on this he should send jeff fisher a thank you card for all of those 40 for 50 games for 350 to 450 games and td's facing his great mush rush and zone coverage!

8. MCMLXXXIII

MCMLXXXIII Starter

Dan played when DBs could mug WR legally. MLB could kill anyone across the middle and quarterbacks had to take hits without getting a free 15 yards.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. NewHorizans

Yes, some rules were different, but the true 'mug' rules started in the '70s. The 5 yard rule was in place during Dan's time

10. Maxiest

Maxiest Rookie

I am a long time UT fan and I have never ever liked him or his whole family. He will choke in the playoffs like he has always done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar