Peyton Manning cleared to play.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't think playing within the division matters much now that all 4 AFC South teams are completely different since Manning's last game.
    Haha Peyton makes you wet.

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

And you don't know if Locker will be any good or play at all the next 2 seasons.

It goes both ways. We're not even that invested in Locker at this point anyways. The new CBA makes it possible to let Locker sit on the bench for another 2 seasons.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Locker is on the team. Manning isnt.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

thats why we should sign Manning so he is on the team...

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I would be very happy with signing Manning to tout (spelling ?) Lock - yes, that seems to be a really good idea. Payton loves this game and the fact that so many people wrote him off in the course of one year will really drive him to come back. People question his arm strength, but i know he'll get it back.

As for the neck injury, that does concern me a bit. your talking to a guy who died in a car accident roughly 3 or 4 years ago and came back with a lot of luck - im talking hollywood movie crazy. i broke and injured all types of sh*t, but as it pertains to this topic, i fractured my neck real bad (c 1 and 2) - often refereed to as the hangman's fracture.

im not sure if thats worse than what he had or whatever but it was f'ed pretty bad. i did all my rehab and what not but till today i still feel my neck fragile and this is after a 'full recovery.' Cant 'crack' ma neck anymore, my mind/body wont let me. i cant get hit hard either so idn...its def not cool.

don't get me wrong im perfectly fine, but football is serious. so, yeah the neck injury def worries me. once u get injured there, it just never feels the same...

-- Please note that this thread is from my personal experience so idn if its an accurate comparison to manning ---

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm somewhat "late to the dance" on this topic since I've been unable to read the forum lately but you have a number of factors at play here.

Let's assume Manning is healthy and can play at the same level he did before his injury. There are, at least, 25 teams he would upgrade immediately including the Titans. But assuming he'll be anything close to 100% when the regular season starts is a stretch. Stepping into a new system with a year away from the game is going to be difficult for even Peyton Manning.

Despite the recent news clearing Manning, that's a far cry from him being able to throw the football with the velocity he had before the injury. He needs to prove he can do it and I doubt he could step on the field and prove anything anytime soon. He's a big risk right now.

The other factor is how much he'll cost. Let's assume he'll play for what Favre played for his last season in 2010, $12.5M (which is probably low to get Manning). I personally think he'd take nothing less than a three-year deal.

I believe the Titans are $30M under the cap right now but they have to re-sign or replace 17 unrestricted free agents with FAs or draft picks. They need a little left over in case someone goes down during the season. Signing Finnegan and making any kind of splash in free agency (besides getting Manning) would be difficult. Add to that the Titans would need to release Hasselbeck so all his signing bonus would go against the 2012 cap. His salary for the year is $5.5M which would be saved but the cap hit would end up being just over $4.6M. Let's say the Titans gain $1M by releasing Hasselbeck.

So, against the 2012 cap, keeping Hasselbeck costs $1M more to keep and Manning would cost $12.5M (guessing). Does Manning upgrade the QB position that much? Not if it costs the Titans some quality players in other positions. And it puts Locker on the bench another two seasons when he's ready to challenge now and, for sure, by 2013.

Personally, I think the Colts will work out something with Manning. His base this season is only $7.4M. If Manning was willing to push back a big part of that $28M bonus, they could rework his contract and keep him this season. If they cut him, he still counts $10.4M towards their 2012 cap so why not flip some of that bonus into his salary so he's earning $12.5M in 2012 and letting Luck learn from the best. If they pay the bonus, he's on the books for $38M towards their cap and that ain't happening.

Working out something with the Colts for 2012 just makes sense to me, IMO. If he comes back and is the same Peyton, he'll make a lot more money on the open market next season than he will this season.

BTW, this is a great site to get the latest in salary numbers:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. PassTitansPass

PassTitansPass Starter

BTW, Manning has not been cleared to play.

8. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

If Peyton is adamant that he wants nOthing to do with mentoring Locker then I don't want him on te team. If he were to sign a 2 yr deal, and mentor Locker, I'd much rather have Jake learn from Peyton then MH. If Bud Adams is serious about a super bowl, then he should at least look at this as an option.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

:grrhee:
    autocorrect?

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

@TitanJeff

I honestly do not think Manning would come back unless he is confident he would come back near 100%. I have a feeling his reputation is very important to him.

Why would he come back at anything less than competitive? He is a HoF lock, has his ring and basically can do whatever he wants after football. I do not think he would risk his health just to get a few more years in on another team.

As far as cost goes, this is OUR main issue as an organization. We would essentially be putting our eggs in one basket. I have already said that he will improve all aspects of the team, so I am not going to get into it here. I do agree, if it did not pan out, we really screwed ourselves. Basically thrusting Locker into a team that may or may not be suitable for him.

Its high risk, high reward and I would not mention it, if I did not think he would get us back to the Super Bowl. I know you can't buy your way there, but Manning is different than the Eagles situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar