Peyton easily wins record fourth MVP (AP)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coov

Coov Starter

I know why I don't like Manning. Football to me is blood, sweat, tears and heart. Manning has the tears part right.

Sure he has talent, precision and a good work ethic... if there was an award for keeping a uniform clean, he'd win that one too... and deserve it to boot.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

First off, we're not arguing that Manning isn't a suitable player to win the award, I'm mostly arguing that CJ not getting a single vote is a joke. He had a better season than any QB who got a vote.

Imagine if you lost Freeney and Mathis and your D stunk. Then Manning BREAKS the all time record for passing yards in a season and led the league in passing. But since your D was bad, you finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs. So Manning not only DOESN'T WIN, but he didn't even get a SINGLE VOTE??? Would you be perfectly accepting of this since you didn't have a winning (nor a losing) record and didn't make the playoffs?

And I don't know how the only legit candidates are Rivers or Manning. Drew Brees LED THE LEAGUE in passing and Brett Favre also finished ahead of Manning and both led their teams to impressive records. Manning wasn't even in the top FIVE of QB's this year. Manning didn't lead the league in anything that I'm aware of and set no records. Brees, Rivers and Favre should have garnered more consideration...especially Brees who DID set an NFL record this year in completion %. Brees not only led his team to an excellent record, but led the league in passing and threw more TD's and fewer INT's than Manning did with fewer attempts. I would have voted for Brees before Manning.

Gut

3. Coov

Coov Starter

You don't have to explain yourself to him. All he is interested in talking about is sucking balls and spankings. No one can bad mouth precious little Manning and his infinite little fan club. The colts would be nothing without him.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not really correct...

Yes, when you allow your QB to call the plays...HE runs the offense. You give Manning credit for the coaching staff allowing him to call his own plays? Funny, you never hear the play calling criticized when they get beat in the playoffs.

Do Vince Young and Kerry Collins get a lot of credit for getting Britt involved in the offense? I admire that Manning went and worked with those guys because that's what a QB SHOULD do. I know of MANY QB's in the league who do that...and yet they aren't winning MVP's.

As for all the other 'top' QB's having a strong running game? The Vikings rushing attack has been worse than the Colts over something like the last 4 games. The Chargers rushing stats are WORSE than the Colts in the sense that they are LAST in the league in ypc. They simply get more rushing yards per game total because they call more running plays. Plus, the Colts continuously evolve their passing attack but they have been running the exact same running plays for about a decade. Who's fault is that? You CAN'T argue that the Colts don't have 2 excellent RB's and that their OL isn't good and that their TE isn't good. So why aren't they better running the ball? Perhaps the guy calling the same running plays (and fewer of them) has something to do with it.

The funny thing is, the Colts have BETTER rb's than the Saints but the Saints are a much better rushing team...perhaps because Brees does a better job of audibling to better running plays and their OC designs better plays. You give Manning credit for calling his plays...how come he gets no flak for not having an effective rushing attack?

I already showed that Rivers has a worse rushing attack and yet is a higher rated QB and had a better season than Manning. If Manning had no 'shaky' performances, then why is he not even in the top 5 of QB rating while the others are???

More accurately, Manning had WORSE gameS than Rivers did. Rivers had 5 games with a QB rating under 90. In his WORST game of the season he still had a 84 QB rating. Manning also had FIVE games this season with a QB rating under 90. TWO of those games (Buffalo and Denver) he had a QB rating of 65! That's correct....65!!! Talk about shaky performances!!!!!

Brees also had some shaky performances but about on par with Manning and his best games were better than Mannings were. Same with Favre who also had 5 games below 90 qb rating but didn't have any as bad as Manning's.

So what have we learned? Manning should take as much blame as credit for his offense, has done what every QB should do (and many do) in getting new WR's up to speed, has one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL (Manning should get some of the blame considering their talent and they aren't as bad as the Chargers), and Manning was the 6th best QB this year. Doesn't sound like he should have won it to me. Based on this evidence, if picking a QB, you'd probably have to go with Rivers as he had a better season than Manning, didn't have as shaky performances, has the worst rushing attack in the league, and led his team strongly into the playoffs.

Gut

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

when are the other awards announced?

i mean its almost no brainer cj got the OPOY award. i say almost b/c brees did break the completion record. id say total yards is more importnat than completion percentage, but than again drew brees is loved hard and might steal it from johnson....

they let matt ryan steal the ROY award from him...i hope they dont make it twice in as many seasons

6. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hang:

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

OK guys, some of the crap I'm reading here is absolute lunacy. Peyton sucked it up compared to other years? (el darax) His numbers weren't that good? (Finnegan2Win) You guys are clearly blind. Peyton lead the Colts to 13 strait wins...that's why he is and deserves to be the MVP. CJ won the OPOY, which is what he was. We lost six strait games with Chris Johnson playing. I understand, he doesn't throw, doesn't play defense, and therefore isn't as valuable as Peyton. I'd go so far as to say VY is more valuable to this team then CJ. Sure, CJ is the FAR superior player at his position, but before we got Vince back as a starter I questioned whether we would win 4 games. MVP does not equal best player, it equals most important to the team. Take Peyton off the Colts and they miss the playoffs. Take CJ off the Titans and we're probably 8-8, 7-9. Maybe 6-4.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol....

Um...from your words which I put in bold...does Peyton Manning play defense? If neither player plays defense...how could that be a point for or against any offensive player?

Here's the deal...
    Peyton Manning is a great QB but was only the 6th best this year.

Peyton Manning set no record this year while the QB rated #1 DID.

Peyton Manning IS more valueable to his team because the team is built around him...period. They also have little depth and when he sat out, they had a 3rd string QB who didn't practice and didn't have any NFL experience entering the game. Of course he's gonna look terrible. Even 2nd stringers with experience typically don't look too good when forced into service with no practice reps. Is this a reason for Manning to win because they had no depth and didn't give their 3rd stringer reps?

Peyton Manning helped his team win 13 straight. They were beating the Jets when they pulled their starters, but they were getting soundly beaten by the much inferior Buffalo Bills before taking their starters out also.

The Indy DEFENSE is just as responsible for their 13-0 start as Manning is. Did you know their defense ranks 8th in scoring. Their vaunted offense with a Hall of Fame QB ranked 7th. When Freeney and Mathis were taken off the field, the D couldn't stop anyone. All Manning, right?

Manning has had better seasons. 5 QB's are HAVING better seasons and none of them even came close. CJ was only the 6th player to reach 2000 yds rushing and broke the ALL-TIME yds from scrimmage record and didn't get a single vote?

Manning had worse games this year than the 5 QB's rated ahead of him. There is virtually no good reason for Rivers not to have beaten Manning. SD's defense was ranked 11th compared to the Colts 8th and SD's offense was ranked 4th versus Manning's 7th. The Colts also have better RB's than the Chargers do and better weapons (Wayne and Clark vs Jackson and Gates).While the Colts finished with a 14-2 record vs SD's 13-3 and while the Colts had a 13 game win streak compared to SD's 11, Rivers had better stats and did MORE with less and was statistically the better QB and was more consistent.

You can not compare wins and losses when one player (Manning has the 8th best D) and the Titans (CJ) have the 28th best D. If you're a running team, giving up OVER 25 points per game is gonna keep you from winning a lot of games. The defense should not be what makes or breaks you as an MVP in my opinion. But if you think it does and it's really about wins and losses, Rivers should have beat Manning and the Brees probably should have too but I think I've made my point.

Gut

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

We all know how you like to post 1000 words at a time, so I just highlighted the important parts. First of all, Phillip Rivers is not a better QB then Peyton, and never will be. You can bend statistics and make them say whatever you want to.

Second....if you're a REAL RUNNING team then you don't give up 25 points a game because you control the clock and limit the other teams offensive output by doing so. Like I said...take Peyton off the Colts and they lose half their games, take CJ off the Titans and we're about the same. Therefore, CJ is less valuable. Not a less explosive, less talented, or worse player, just not as IMPORTANT to the team. We won 10 games with VY and Lendale as our best 2 players a couple of years ago. CJ is good, great even, but RBs just aren't as valuable as QBs. And when you're assessing the most VALUABLE player on a team, not the BEST player on a team, then you have to be objective about it. We lost 8 games with CJ, including 6 in a row; the Colts lost EVERY game without Peyton.

And there were not 6 QBs better then Manning this year, thats ridiculous. I don't care what nfl.com/stats tells you.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

LOL! Rivers outperformed Manning this season. Saying Manning is a better QB is not an issue since it's how he performed at QB that counts, doesn't it? Rivers outplayed Manning this year with less help from his D, running game, has fewer weapons on offense and outperformed Manning and the Colts offense. What else can you say? There is no bending of the stats...they are what they are.

So I guess while we have only the 6th player to RUSH for 2000+ yards, we're not a real running team? Amusing. Even a real running team can give up 25-30 points per game if the defense is bad. And our defense was BAD!!!

Counting wins and losses witout addressing each teams defenses is ridiculous. As a POINT of proff, look up the great Manning's WORST season and you'll see it coincides with the Colts last place defense. And even Manning couldn't deliver them a .500 season either. This is PROFF that once your defense is absurdly bad, no one can save you so arguing Manning's wins vs CJ with a terrible D makes no sense. If Peyton were able to overcome the last place D and win 12 games I'd agree with you. Since he and no one else can, there's your proof.

If you don't like facts...don't believe them. But 5 QB's outperformed Manning this year.

The problem with your argument is that it has a conflict. On the one hand, you say the Colts would lose every game without Manning...(so you think he should win every year of his career?). Your other argument is that Peyton is a better QB so he should win despite Rivers and 4 other QB's outperforming him. Here's a last question...

If Manning had the worst defense in the league and BECAUSE of that defense they had an 8-8 record but Manning broke the single season passing yards record and single season TD record and outperformed every QB in the league...should he win? Should he get a single vote? Why or why not?

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar