Personalities Big Part of Success for Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I must have missed the time VY wasn't there during the first 5 games.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Gunny, this will help you see better :grrhee:

[​IMG]

3. plato

plato Camp Fodder

I noticed the team seemed to always get a spark when VY entered the game early in the year.. Many had to have noticed this as well... The results were not great early because VY didn't know what he was doing yet....

The run game was horrible until VY became the starter and the fact teams have to spy VY gives them one less guy to attack the run game at the snap..

That delay helps Atlanta, it helped back in the Cunningham days and it helps with VY being on the team..

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the running game was horrible until pillar was replace. that was something we ALL saw, but for some reason took an injury for it to happen.

5. Young has something to do with 'sparking' but dont think for a minute those veterans arent there to help the youngsters.

6. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Longhorn fans will want to give more credit to Vince because we all saw him turn the attitude at Texas around and create an amazing and successful camraderie and atmosphere during his time here. It was really unbelievable the psychological impact that Vince had on his team at Texas...the so called "Vince Vibe".

After going through that experience, we naturally assume that Vince has a key role in the turn-around for the Titans as well. And I am sure he did. But obviously, you don;t get the type of camraderie fisher is referencing without the majority of the team kicking in and doing their part. I also think that Bulluck has been HUGE in that department. If you were trying to narrow it to two players, I'd say Vince and Bulluck. But why narrow it, the players have all come together to make this great win streak happen.

7. Gunny, I've been a lurker here for a couple of months and I'm finally going to start posting. One thing that I have noticed is that you have slowly begun to give Vince a little credit so I will applaud you for that.

That being said, your initial reply to the person stating that Vince has much to do with the teams streak tells me that you still have yet to fully grasp what Vince Young means to this team.

Ask yourself a few questions:

1. After seeing Kerry Collins play in the first few games, did you really expect this team to not having a losing record by the end of the season?

2. On top of that, did you expect Travis Henry to have the type of season he had once Vince came into the starting line up?

3. How about the offensive line? Certainly not littered with pro bowl players. Would you have expected them to play the way they did after Vince was inserted?

You never should give one player all of the credit as, more than any sport, football does take 11 players to really click. What we saw at the University of Texas is exactly what you are seeing now. I will give you a short synopsis:

-- When Vince came to the University of Texas, Mack Brown and the Texas football program was thought of as a decent team, even maybe a top 10 team. They were known though as a team who could beat up on the patsies and never win the big games. Mack Brown was known as Coach Feb. A great recruiter who couldn't win and did the least with the most talent.

He sat out his freshman year and learned. In his redshirt Freshman season, he was extremely raw. His first game though he came in and the entire stadium, not just his teammates, raised their intensity 10 fold. His first pass was a 60 year bomb, completed mind you :). You could tell immediately that things just worked differently with him in the game.

From that moment on, he made people better. Before Vince became the starter for the Longhorns, Cedric Benson was a good talent who didn't work hard enough and had a bit of an attitude problem. After Vince become the starter, Cedric went on to have his best season and a half and vaulted himself into the top 10 in the NFL draft. Before Vince, the Texas running game struggled mightily. They were soft, they didn't hit people. After Vince, they were physical, they hit people in the mouth. They showed personality and they showed attitude. I still remember Chris Simms at UT. He was a very good QB, but players wouldn't stick up for him. If Vince ever got hit late, or smacked around, the entire team would come to his defense and they would make the others pay.

Look at UT this year. Lots of talent but they majorly underperformed. The running game was not very good, people were once again soft. They didn't have that "it".

Vince has done this for the Titans. Before Vince became the starter, the running game was nothing really that special. Would you have believed that Travis Henry would have the year he's had? The oline was weak. The team didn't seem to have a ton of fight. Players were calling players only meetings. Bullock was lashing out in the media. It was bad. Insert Vince...

Vince Young brings an attitude that is infectious. You can see it with the players. The players bought into Vince Young during training camp..before he ever did anything. Vince Young is tough. How many times have you seen him get hit this year and think..."oh great"...only to have him come back like it was nothing? Vince Young commands respect, not only from the players on his team, but from other players as well. Vince Young makes those around him better. The receivers run harder and run better routes. The olinemen want to block better. The running backs have more holes to run through because the defense must have people who try to account for his running.

Vince would be the last person in the world to come out and say he has as much to do with the streak as he does. That's just the person he is. He will never gloat. He will never say that he's the man. He will thank his oline. He will thank his coaches. He will crack a joke about how far he has to go. Then, he will go out and win a game with the entire team on his back like it was nothing...

No, Vince hasn't been the only factor in this winning streak. That wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team. He has, however, brought a different mentality to the team that has pushed them to the success that they are currently having. It's extremely difficult to overlook that.

Anyway, that's probably enough from me...seeing as how I'm a rookie here. :)

8. giddyupzil

giddyupzil Camp Fodder

That's one of the special things about Vince. His personality. Everyone around him plays better when he's on the field.

9. VinceIsGod

VinceIsGod Guest

I'm not a Titans fan, I'm a Texas alum who is a HUGE VY fan. Can someone tell my why the Titans had the 3rd pick in the draft this year?

Since I haven't followed the Titans before this year, I would have to say that it is because the team has a pretty low overall talent level. There may be other reasons (injuries, for example), but I doubt it.

Insert Vince. It is his presence that has made those guys play above their heads. Maybe it's because Vince does so many things well, that it hides other players' weaknesses. Maybe it's because Vince's attitude and work ethic are contagious, and makes everyone else want to play hard.

But I know one thing: without Vince playing for y'all this year, the Titans would be fighting with the Raiders for the #1 overall pick. Some of y'all might not want to believe it, but it is the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar