PC Help Quick!

Discussion in 'Gear' started by VolnTitan, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

OK. My mom wants to get a new PC. I am a Mac person and not sure who makes the best PC's anymore. If I got her a Mac, then I would be committed to hours of training that honestly I don't think I would have the patience to deal with. She basically does internet, email and bookkeeping on the computer and I would love to find a really well built computer that isn't junked up with all the unnessary programs and trial crap. I want to get a couple of types to take to her this afternoon so she doesn't end up going to best buy and buying more crap.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You're in the same spot I was a few years back. The parents wanted a computer. I told them I was mac so not much help. My sister ended up giving them their old pc.

She is also now getting three calls a week with problems momma has on the computer. I love momma but...

3. Any of the brand names are fine other than Compaq. Basically just make sure they get a decent processor (i.e. not AMD Sempron ir Intel Celeron) and 1GB of memory to run Vista.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I really don't see why everyone thinks OSX is such a complicated operating system....... if a person can tool around XP, then they should be dandy with OSX

just get her a Mac
    clear EVERYTHING off the dock other than Mail / Safari / (quickbooks?) and she should be good to go

honestly, I believe I'd rather go through a learning curve with her than having to play tech support (because that would make me say "i told you so")

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Puck...

It is easy for you and me, but for a 66 yr. old woman who just last year first sent her first email and has been on the internet only 6 months, ANY change is scary. Sure OSX is easier and better in my opinion and yours, but any change is scary even if it is a different color. If you knew the nashing of teeth that she went thru with my sister when my sister was setting up her accounts on the computer....

What I will probably do is see if the excel sheets that my sister set up for her check register and other bookkeeping stuff will go over to OSX without any change. If it does go over flawlessly, then I will suggest that she gets the new iMac and then take advantage of all the one on one training that the Apple store offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar